Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riviera Compared To Avanti... (link)

Fightin' words? Or....the truth?

"Its only real competition was the Studebaker Avanti, but Studebaker was a dying company, which dampened sales."

(see link for entire article)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

The Studebaker remark notwithstanding, the writer was dead wrong to say the Avanti was the Riviera's only real competition.

The Riviera's competition was, in fact, the Ford Thunderbird de jour! The writer talks about that (Thunderbird) and then tuirns right around and ignores it! Duh! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Back in late '62 my dad wanted to buy his first brand new car ever. He really wanted a '63 Riviera but as he owned a local newspaper, he wanted to deal with his advertisers. The Buick dealer didn't advertise with him (neither did the closest Studebaker dealer), so he went to the Pontiac dealer in town and bought a new '63 Grand Prix. The Grand Prix was a beautiful car but didn't last...when it only had 2000 miles it was demolished in a head on collision...still the most terrifying event of my life. My dad and sister and I were all injured...my dad almost lost one eye. The two in the other car ('62 Ford Galaxie) were worse off.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

'Good point, Bruce. Within General Motors, the Grand Prix was a legitimate competitor...but what respectable Buick owner would stoop to drive a lowly Pontiac, for Pete's sake? BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

For 1963, my sister considered an Avanti, but purchased a new Thunderbird. I don't think that she even considered a Riviera (a Buick was for old people, even then).
          I didn't care for Rivieras until the 1966 model (I owned a '68 Riviera GS- same body.). My 1964, 1965 and 1966 new cars were Plymouths/Dodge.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

IMHO there were three of the great impact cars of the second half of the twentieth century which all arrived at the same year, 1963. The Avanti, the Stingray and the Riviera. Of course there were others in other years, but those three, that year, have always stood out to me.
            Dean

CLEM

Comment

I agree with Dean, for me the pinnacle Riviera was the '65 model when they moved the headlights behind hidden doors in the fenders. It's the closest to a factory custom ever built in my opinion.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                I agree with Dean, for me the pinnacle Riviera was the '65 model when they moved the headlights behind hidden doors in the fenders. It's the closest to a factory custom ever built in my opinion.

I prefer the ones with the exposed headlights.
                The 65s look naked without then...it's almost too clean (although it's probably more of a case of getting used to them, then being suddenly removed).
                Also, I'm not a fan of the fender mounded headlight doors. They remind me of the grille and fender trim of mid-60s Chevys and Novas until 1973.

The other day I saw a 63 split window vette n a TV auction. They have at least three sets of phony grilles and vents...also the Riveria has some too. Harley Earl was no genius. The Avanti is so much cleaner.
                Last edited by JBOYLE; 11-17-2012, 10:04 AM.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The Avanti's real competitor was the Rambler American <G>

My Grandfather really wanted to buy an Avanti, (and they could afford it), but my Grandmother wouldn't let him. He wound up buying a 64 Rambler American hardtop, red with a black top, Twin Stick, AC, console, bucket seats, REALLY nice little car. He taught me how to drive a stick in that car.
                  Jeff DeWitt
                  http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Comparisons and competition from Riviera, Thunderbird, Corvette, and Rambler American??? I consider the only competition, based on innovation, styling and performance to be the Riviera and Corvette. All three were innovative in what they brought to the table for the 1963 model year.
                    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

The Riviera's only competition was the T-Bird and the Avanti's was the Corvette!

Comment

Originally posted by radiotech View Post
                        The Riviera's only competition was the T-Bird and the Avanti's was the Corvette!

In explaining the Avanti to visitors at a car show, I usualy say the Avanti was bought by the Corvette guy's father.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JeffDeWitt View Post
                          The Avanti's real competitor was the Rambler American <G>

My Grandfather really wanted to buy an Avanti, (and they could afford it), but my Grandmother wouldn't let him. He wound up buying a 64 Rambler American hardtop, red with a black top, Twin Stick, AC, console, bucket seats, REALLY nice little car. He taught me how to drive a stick in that car.
                          A fully loaded 1963 Daytona Wagonaire, that I owned for a long time, I purchased from the original owner. He wanted to trade his 1955 Speedster in on an Avanti. His wife said no because by that time they had a child and the Avanti did not have much room. So, the guy ordered the Daytona Wagonaire with 289, bucket seats, disc brakes, Sta-Bars, rear step, rack, ps and more.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                            Comparisons and competition from Riviera, Thunderbird, Corvette, and Rambler American??? I consider the only competition, based on innovation, styling and performance to be the Riviera and Corvette. All three were innovative in what they brought to the table for the 1963 model year.
                            The people that I closely knew or were related to that considered 1963 Avanti new and/or ordered one ended up with 1963 Thunderbird coupe or Corvette split window.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by radiotech View Post
                              This depended on their situation (family) and what they wanted in a car. Many people shopping the Avanti wanted a back seat and a trunk, neither of which the 1963 Corvette offered. I only know of one person that cross-shopped the Avanti for 1963 and ended up buying a Corvette and he was younger than me and single.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X