'64 GT Hawk turns over for first time since 1986

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 GT Hawk turns over for first time since 1986

I bought this '64 Hawk V-8 4bbl auto floor shift job locally a few months back. The mileage is 63k. It had all the original owner paperwork with it from Calif. The original owner's kids sold it to a local guy 3 1/2 years ago. He did nothing but let it sit outside and then decided he'd never have the time or money to work on it. All bright parts and many others were removed, wrapped and stored when the car was taken off the road in 1986. Work on it has been slow. We removed and replaced the rotted and melted tires with a brand new set. We could not turn the crank by hand. Finally got around to hooking up a battery to it today. Dang if the engine didn't turn right over. Oh happy day! Don't know the condition, but it's not locked up. Jon Myer told me it might turnover with no problem. Said he'd seen it happen to cars that had been sitting for 40 years. He was exactly right. I admit I was dubious after the engine and electrical system had been dormant over a quarter century. Fortunately, the car was stored undercover for 23 of those 26 years. That also helped it avoid the Hawk rust syndrome.

So now it's on to other issues. The Carter 4V is being rebuilt and a new fuel pump will be installed. And of course the gas tank will have to be refurbed. I've already got many electrical and tuneup parts for it. So we'll work these things a few at a time just like I did my Avanti.
    Attached Files
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

To: edpjr,-----Full dash....that's good!

Comment

plus AM/FM radio, floor shifter, Pwr Steering, Power Brakes, Front disc brakes... just wish it was a R1 with A/C :-)

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      To: edpjr,-----Full dash....that's good!
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

Good luck with progress on your '64 Hawk.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
        X