Steven King needs a better understanding of Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven King needs a better understanding of Studebakers

I am reading Steven King's novel 11-22-63 which is largely set between 1958 and 1963.

The main character drives a 54 Ford Convertible and a 59 Chevy. Unfortunately, any references to Studebakers are always accompanied by adjectives such as 'old' and 'rusty'.

He could have used a better research assistant because in one scene set in 60 or 61 he refers to an 'old' Studebaker Lark. I guess that particular Lark must have been 'born old' like some people are.
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

He's not alone -- those kinds of errors also seem to occur in the press and on TV with depressing regularity -- and not just when referring to Studes. In this age of Wikipedia and Google, checking a fact can be done in seconds, yet these mistakes are everywhere. Maybe people were more careful in the old days, when you had to go to the library and look things up in an encyclopedia.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Ignore it, consider the source.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

He was a bit sloppy in the book "Christine", too, where I recall one mention of the coupe's "four doors".
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

he was hit by a van and nearly killed. Steven King and motorized vehicles shouldn't interact.
          sigpic
          JohnP, driving & reviving
          60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

I read this Stephen King novel last year when it came out. I thought it was fantastic and well researched. Having grown up in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, his depictions and details of the time period were spot on. I remember reading the passages you mentioned and was not offended by his descriptions of Studebakers in the least, considering that the story is about time travel from the present into the past. So a bias from a non Studebaker person from today traveling into the past (the main character), would seem more likely to me to be had. BTW, Stephen King's father was from Peru, Indiana. Stephen was born on the east coast I think, (Maine??) and for at least a small time as a child, Stephen lived with his family in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Note, I am not a Stephen King advocate as this was the first thing I have ever read of his.

Comment

Working...
            X