Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message from effiedude

Received this today in a PM from effiedude:

"I wonder if You could perhaps help Me identify My wagon by the Block #'s that I found drivers side top of motor, The # is V43299I or 1 The Owner before Me bought the 59 2Dr wagon from Our local Navy AIr Base (Naval Station Whidbey in Oak Harbor WA.) The car has no vin plates on either the drivers door or under the hood. The car has a generator in it but I'm wondering if The car came from factory with a 6 or 12 volt system. Could You tell Me the year Studebaker went from 6 to 12 volt generator in Their LARK Cars?? I recently picked up the 2dr 59 wagon, a 4dr lark 59 VIII and a truck load of NOS parts for 300 bucks."
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Easy stuff:

1. V432991 is a 1959 model year 259 V8 engine.

2. The car was originally built with a generator-based charging system.

3. The car was built with a 12-volt, negative-ground electrical system, as were all Studebakers, Larks or otherwise, beginning in 1956 until the end of production. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

All Larks were 12V. 1955 was the last 6V.
      Klif
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

Brad- feel free to put said owner in touch with the 'local' SDC Chapter.
        Their current VP has a place over on Whidbey Island, and their current President is a guy who used to be stationed at NAS Whidbey Island.
        That guy looks alot like me...
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks for the info Bob, I have another question about My 1959 Stude 2Dr wagon. Since I am not able to find the original Vin plates on either the drivers door frame or on the cowl under the hood. Does the number (V432991) represent the Vin #'s I am seeking to find on the car? Or better put will these #'s be adequit to re register the car? If not where else can I find the Vin #'s on this car?
          Any info is much appreciated.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02850.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1675999
          Patrick Sammon in Sedro Woolley Washington, State
          Patrick Sammon

Comment

If your really lucky there may still be one on the rear cross member. Looks like it could be a little flakey tho.
            Klif
            55 Speedster/Street Machine
            63 Avanti R2
            64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by effiedude View Post
              Thanks for the info Bob, I have another question about My 1959 Stude 2Dr wagon. Since I am not able to find the original Vin plates on either the drivers door frame or on the cowl under the hood. Does the number (V432991) represent the Vin #'s I am seeking to find on the car? Or better put will these #'s be adequit to re register the car? If not where else can I find the Vin #'s on this car?
              Any info is much appreciated.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]18774[/ATTACH]
              Patrick Sammon in Sedro Woolley Washington, State
              Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
              If your really lucky there may still be one on the rear cross member. Looks like it could be a little flakey tho.
              Klif
              effiedude: I'd get in contact with the Washington State Patrol to cover your butt.
              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
              X