1959 lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 lark

I have just purchased a 1959 lark, it has sat in storage for two years. The motor turns over but will not run, any suggestions.

david sliwinski

You need fuel, compression, and spark. Have you tested for all three?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

You should send it to Dallas and let me use it for parts. [)] Seriously I would try checking the points and see if its firing then add some fresh gas give it another try. A photo or two would be nice as well.

Randy_G
      1959 Lark Sedan
      This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

As Dick says...check all the normal stuff!

Is fuel getting to the carburetor?
        Is spark getting to the spark plugs?
        Are the spark plugs in reasonabley good condition?
        Is the distributor cap and rotor in reasonably good condition?
        Are the points adjusted correctly?

Again...all the normal stuff!

Mike

Comment

The 59v has an unusaul rotor from my other v8's.My 59 lark sat in storage for along time too.I was told it ran when it was parked there, when I checked it out ,it had compression ,oil and gas to the carb.The spark was there but because it was my first 59v,I didn't know there was a carbon resister on the rotor. The resister was gone, spark was jumping the gap,therfore producing a very weak spark. It wasn't till I bought a new rotor that I realized my rotor was faulty.It fired right up,then Ichecked the dwell and point gap.To see if they had been set correct,they were but were worn.I then gave it new plugs points an condenser,and wet adjusted the valves,a little marvel mystery oil soaking and the rings loosen up and compression evened out.If you need more info please email me.joenlorit@att.nett

1959 HARDTOP R2 clone
          1960 conv
          SDC member since 1972
          1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
          1960 conv R2 auto
          SDC member since 1972
          http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

David; That would be the "early" Delco type Dist. used from 1951 to 1959 and to 1961 on Hawks. The '60 and '61 Larks are the ones with the later Delco "Window" Dist. with all the same electrical parts as '57-mid 60's GM cars. Both are excellent Dist's. [^]

Then there's the '62-'64 Prestolite Dists.
            With very often maintenance and Mopar weights they are also OK, however in the day, they never got either!

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well, alot of assumptions could be made here since you've provided little specific info to go on. But since you say it won't start, let's assume it WILL spin with the starter. Is this the case?
              If so, how much have you spun it? Enough for the fuel pump to draw whatever aging gasoline might still be in the tank (again, assuming there IS gas in the tank) and thereby fill the carburetor? Even if this IS achieved, quite likely the accelerator pump in the carb is dried out and is gonna make starting tough to do since it won't render a good, rich squirt of gas into the sleepy ol' motor. So - the upshot of all this is the need to confirm that the carb IS getting fed some of whatever's in the gas tank. Without some petorleum distillates, ain't nuthin' gonna happen.

If you ARE getting some fuel to the carb, then the next suspect would be the ignition system. First thing I would do ( assuming you could visually see that rats hadn't chewed away the insulation off the spark plug wires!) is pop off the distributor cap and run a bit of very fine abrasive (like emery cloth or extra fine sandpaper) between the points. Be sure to let us know if you can't identify what the "points" are. Follow this cleaning with by running between the points, a bit of soft cardboard, like a matchbook cover or some such thing to eliminate and abrasive the first step left behind.
              Put the cap back on and spin the engine with one spark plug wire off and with it's inner metal contact close enough to the metal of the engine to where you can see if there's a spark there once every two revs of the engine. Beware that if you hold said wire in your hand while the engine's being turned, you'll likely get one heck of a thrill akin to being struck by lightning.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

David,no-one has said Welcome To The Forum !!! So I will!. Have you joined SDC yet?? It's only 19.95 for the first year.The club magazine-Turning Wheels, has a tech section in it that alone is worth more than that!
                Not that it matters as to the advice you have already received,but is your Lark a V-8 or a 6 cyl? Two more hints that I can offer,sometimes perfect LOOKING spark plugs can be too gas-soaked to fire good enough to run,also,if the car was stored for so long,did animals nest in the exhaust,plugging it up so that the engine can't breath?? Good Luck! let us know what happens.

LaSalle,Il
                61Hawk
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I would llike to thank everyone for their suggestions. It took a while to be able to work on the car with a new job and working 10 hours a day. I changed the spark plugs, added new wires, and emptied the gas tank. I then added new gas and had to prime the carberator to finally start the car. What a great feeling when it ran.

Now I must check the braking system because the pedal goes straight down to the floor. Also the the retaining spring on the ignition switch came apart.

Once again thnk you very much for your help.

david sliwinski

Comment

Hello David
                    Welcome to the Forum.I like the 59&60 larks, good luck
                    with your car.Post some pictures when you have time.

Lenny
                    Atlanta Ga.

Comment

Working...
                    X