Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok- who has added longer wheel studs to Stude rear end and how did you do it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Ok- who has added longer wheel studs to Stude rear end and how did you do it.

I have searched but have not been able to find what I believe to be the right size wheel stud which is long enough to mount my wheels.
    There must be someone here who has had to replace the original wheel studs with longer ones to mount custom wheels.
    What did you do? What parts did you use? It appears that a Dorman 610-315 will replace the original.

I have been online and have gone through NAPAs parts book searching with no success.
    The specifications on the 610-315 are 1/2 x 20 with a .640 knurl, 5/8 shoulder length and 1 5/8" length. I would like to be at least 2 to 2.25" in length.

This works for any stud replacement -

Remove one stud from the hub or axle. Measure the diameter and the length of the knurled section of the stud. We all know the threaded diameter is .50"...
    (IF...you are sure of the Dorman catalogs dimensions you note, you have what you need to continue.)
    With the knurlied diameter and length in hand, go to the Summit or Jegs (Dorman) website, look into the "wheel stud" section (MANY...pages) .

Now just look until you find the knurled diameter, length and the thread length that match what you want....order that part number, pay the man, wait for the order to arrive.

Mike

Note: The knurled diameter should be measured with a micrometer or dial calipers. The dim. needs to be pretty accurate because some knurled sections are only a few thousandths apart.

Comment

What model car are you working on?

Go down to the third to last page and you will see he used Volvo 240 studs but he did do something you might not want to do.

For my Dana 27 I used a 3/4, 19mm, hole saw and that removed the swaged area of the stud and drum.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mike Van Veghten;692537]This works for any stud replacement -

Remove one stud from the hub or axle. Measure the diameter and the length of the knurled section of the stud. We all know the threaded diameter is .50"...
        (IF...you are sure of the Dorman catalogs dimensions you note, you have what you need to continue.)
        With the knurlied diameter and length in hand, go to the Summit or Jegs (Dorman) website, look into the "wheel stud" section (MANY...pages) .

Now just look until you find the knurled diameter, length and the thread length that match what you want....order that part number, pay the man, wait for the order to arrive.

Mike

Mike,
        I don't believe you have ever tried to find a match for the 55 Studebaker stud. It is not as easy as you believe. I have been on the internet and to our three auto parts stores and have not come up with a match for the original studs much less finding a longer one which will fit.
        That is why my question was: Has anyone solved this problem before? I'm trying to avoid reinventing the wheel here. But it appears that I may end up doing just that anyway. I am amazed that I could be the first person to want to put longer wheel studs in.

Comment

Working...
        X