Stolen car exam video circa 1967

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen car exam video circa 1967

A little too staged-looking and fake, but it adds to the 'camp' value. Caution- 20 minutes long:

National Archives and Records Administration - ARC Identifier 12104 / Local Identifier 65.30 - EXAMINATION OF STOLEN CARS, ca. 1970 - ca. 1979 - Department o...
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Very interesting, Bob. I watched the whole thing. ( 'Too lazy to watch it a second time to try to find any Studebakers. 'Didn't see any on the first pass, but that's not to say there aren't any if you had a day to watch it several times and freeze frame every so often.)

Three observations:

1. At about 8:50: Note the officers coming upon the car they had been chasing, exiting their patrol car and approaching the "stolen" vehicle without their guns drawn... I mean, if you had been chasing a fleeing car for a couple miles and suddenly find it "abandoned," why would you approach it with your sidearm holstered?

2. Can anybody identify the little black "furrin' car" just over the investigator's left shoulder at about 11:46? Ford Anglia? Or ????

3. There is good footage of an Indianapolis 500 Pace Car (year/make/body style, but not series; not an actual pace or festival car) in several places. What is it?

BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-03-2012, 08:12 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

methods of breaking into and stealing cars has certainly changed since then. When my wifes car was broken into they just rammed a blade into the lock and twisted, destroying the whole lock mechanism.

Comment

Yes, Anglia. That exact car, a black tudor, is shown in 'The Complete Catalog of British Cars'. They call it a 1953. I would have guessed later '50s.
        Not too sharp on Pace cars, was going to say the Chrysler convert. in the chop shop, but I'm changing it to the Olds convert. in the impound lot.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
          Yes, Anglia. That exact car, a black tudor, is shown in 'The Complete Catalog of British Cars'. They call it a 1953. I would have guessed later '50s.
          Not too sharp on Pace cars, was going to say the Chrysler convert. in the chop shop, but I'm changing it to the Olds convert. in the impound lot.
          Right on the Pace Car, Dwain.

The car in the impound lot is a 1960 Oldsmobile Super 88 convertible. The 1960 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car was a 1960 Oldsmobile 98 convertible.

(Say, Dwain; weren't you driving a wrecker back then...was that you towing in the blue '67 Impala Sport Sedan?) BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
          X