No announcement yet.

Need help with an overdrive kickdown switch diagram - 12V 3-wire solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Need help with an overdrive kickdown switch diagram - 12V 3-wire solenoid

I'm doing a custom installation with a different kickdown switch and don't have an OEM switch on hand to check out.

Does anyone have the internal circuitry diagram for the overdrive kickdown switch for the 12V 3-wire solenoid system?

If not, can someone with this switch check it out with an ohmmeter and tell me which wires going in/going out to where are normally open and normally closed?

Anyone have a link to a diagram on the web?

thanks in advance

jack vines
    PackardV8

I used the wiring diagram for a 56 an a 58 when I did mine. The 56 has a good switch pictue and the 58 is a 3 wire. I used the wiring diagrams in the tech section. I can check a switch when I get home and give you that if needed. Tex
    Last edited by Flashback; 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Jack, the 1971 Motors manual I have on pgs 1-15 and 1-16 has several wiring diagrams for the OD controls circuits. Two of them are for the 12 V system '65-'69, without relay.
      However the diagrams leave much to be desired in terms of completeness. Perhaps you can make more sense of them than I.
      Last edited by tbirdtbird; 11-02-2012, 08:20 PM.
      1947 M5 under restoration
      a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, but still need some guidance.

I have the '53, '56 and '59 Studebaker Shop Manuals. The '59 is a three-wire solenoid and clearly shows which of the four wires going to the kickdown switch go where. It does not show what internal switching takes place when the switch is open and closed. One can infer, but it would be nice to have it shown clearly.

I also have a '66 and '73 Motors Repair Manual. I can't find an overdrive wiring diagram in either of them.

Can anyone put an ohm-meter on a late overdrive switch and tell me what goes where?

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Jack,
          With the late style switch sitting in front of me, the (four) terminals pointed upward, and the "push button" facing me: the left/closest terminal to me has continuity with the right/farthest terminal (the fuse connects these two terminals); this is with the switch at rest (button not pushed). With the button pushed in, the continuity between those two terminals ceases, and continuity then begins between the right closest and left farthest terminal.
          Hope this helps,
          Joe

Comment

Jack, since you have a 3-wire solenoid there, perhaps you could advise me what the connections are to terminals 4,6, and 8. I have such a solenoid (12V) that I will be using on an M5 at some point and cannot find a diagram for this. Thanks. dave
            1947 M5 under restoration
            a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Jack,
              Looking at the "Wiring Diagram of Overdrive Circuit", on page 25 of the "TRANSMISSION-OVERDRIVE" chapter in the 59-64 Shop Manual, that diagram could be part of anyone's problem trying to wire one up initially. The diagram even shows two of the terminals in the wrong place. A person would never get it right, using that diagram. Hopefully, my explanation above, is not too confusing, but that is the accurate info for the 1964 OD setup.

Comment

Thanks much, Joe. You've probably got as many miles on overdrive Hawks as anyone. Your explanation is very clear.

[quote]The diagram even shows two of the terminals in the wrong place.[/qupte] Just to be sure, in the '59 Shop Manual which two terminals are in the wrong place?

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Hi Jack,
                  The diagram makes it look as if the connected terminals are across from each other, which seems logical with the switch. However, just the opposite is true. The connected terminals are on the opposing corners, both when the button is at rest and when pushed.

I was out in the garage 10 hours today, and am about brain dead, so I hope this is clearer than mud.
                  Joe

Comment

The 1958-60 kickdown switch had both red wires at the plunger (front) end of the switch, and the black wires at the rear terminals.
                    The switch changed internally and externally in 1961. It has the fuse mounted on it, and the wire connections are staggered as Joe outlined.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kickdown.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1675971
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks again, Joe and also thanks, Dwain. There is so much on Studes which interchanges over the years, but it's the little stuff which is easy to overlook and then wonder why the OD doesn't work.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                      X