PDA

View Full Version : Reproducing Avanti Sun Visors, Gauging Interest?

Matthew Wendt
11-02-2012, 09:20 AM
I have been working on reproducing Avanti Sun Visors for Studebaker Avantis and Avanti IIs that use the same style. I would appreciate some feedback.

Is there interest?

If interested, at what price point?

The originals are over molded closed cell foam on a steel frame. They are slightly pliable. Would you be satisfied with a rigid part that has the identical appearance and finish, but is not an exact duplicate? The roll bar covers that are available reproduction are a good example. I am not saying foam is out, but it will require a core.

Manufacturing the steel frame will drive cost, what about requiring cores or a core charge?

What year did Avanti IIs stop using the Studebaker style visor? I do know 64ís and Avanti IIs came in a number of colors.

Any feedback is welcome, I am just a hobbyist trying to start a small business and fit my 67 Avanti II with something that hasnít been repaired a half dozen times. It would be nice to let my wife and daughter actually use them too. Wanted to mention that we are so lucky to have the SNM and the ability to get prints. Finally, if youíre a vendor and already considering this, please let me know.

plwindish
11-02-2012, 12:30 PM
My 76 has a more traditional type visor, but doesn't move to the side window. The original ones you are considering making are about as useful as a screen door in a submarine. Visors were not a strong selling point on the Avanti.

JBOYLE
11-02-2012, 01:23 PM
I'd like some and would be willing to supply a core for the metal parts.
Another firm did a repair service, but after a few years the cracking was back.
Yes, they're useless and I can't imagine ever having to use them...but they're stock to the car and I want them to be nice.

Heck, I'd even be happy with a vacuformed (i.e. cheap to tool and produce) cover to fit over the old ones just to get rid of the cracks.
Price...$50 + or - (less for the vacuformed cover).

Alan
11-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I would buy a pair too.

ken-renda
11-02-2012, 02:47 PM
I would like one set, possibly 2. core idea is fine, but i would like to re chrome and get same back. As to color, a single neutral (i.e. fawn) color would work and use vinyl dye from SI for other colors. Their vinyl dye worked quite well on 63 Avanti to hide repaired cracks. I would have re chromed the frame but was concerned with causing more damage to an already cracked visor. Also have 89 Avanti, visor is different. Ken, Deltaville, Va

mr moto
11-02-2012, 03:34 PM
I've heard that Sherwood Egbert disliked sun visors and was going to have the Avanti produced with no visors. The ones that made it into production were a compromise that he was willing to accept.

bezhawk
11-02-2012, 07:31 PM
I can always use a set or two too.

lschuc
11-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Me too. I could use a couple sets too, and probably others would be interested in purchasing a set.

LarkTruck
11-03-2012, 09:13 AM
If you don't take the initiative to repro them correctly why bother, nobody wants junk! How many CORES do you want?
Jim

Lenny R2
11-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Iwould buy a set mine are all cracked