Nice story 'bout this Packard powered boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice story 'bout this Packard powered boat

I found this on the Reno CraigsList, but the boat seems to be in Houston.

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/3293409991.html

I'll bet you've heard this StudeStory before, right?

StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Interesting.... and I love mahogany boats.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Boats like that are LOVELY!!!
      (Otherwise I'm more in to tugs...)

Comment

Was up on Ebay 2 years ago and stirred a few comments here....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Entertaining story. Often, I wonder about the "story" behind the story. What has led to needing to sell such a valuable item that someone has obviously poured their heart and soul into? Here we have a very well written $100,000 sales pitch for something that is priced at $39,000. Then you attempt to sell it on Craigslist. Kinda like parking your Lamborhini Aventador in the parking lot at Walmart with a for sale sign in the window.

Something just don't seem to add up to me.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Never mind pursuing this, guys. I've told my wife that's what I want for Christams, so I'm sure it will soon be unavailable. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

When it arrives, Bob, will we all get an invitation to come out for a ride?
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Truly a wonderful boat and one I'd love to own.

However, it's been for sale on various sites for five years now, including eBay,, so the marketplace doesn't share the owner's enthusiasm.

BTW, the story about the Granetelli effort at Bonneville with Packard V8s is totally unsubstantiated. No written or oral history record exists as far as several researchers have been able to find. Maybe that's why no Packard enthusiasts have stepped forward to buy the boat. One that nice doesn't need wild fabrications clouding the provenance.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                  When it arrives, Bob, will we all get an invitation to come out for a ride?
                  Absolutely, Joe. I'm actually having boat withdrawal. When I graduated from Purdue in 1969, I bought a brand new ski boat in January 1970, a 15' Duo Rounder tri-hull made in Decatur IN, not far from South Bend, with 80 HP Mercury. Most guys buy a new car; I bought a new boat.

The brochure. Chances are this photo would have been taken on one of the many lakes in NE Indiana, probably within 70 or 80 miles of South Bend:

Mine on Raccoon Lake in west central Indiana, circa 1975:

'Kept it 39 years, selling it in 2009 because the stringers in the hull were rotting and the floor was soft, both of which were disclosed in the advertisement to sell it to account for the lower-than-would-have-been-price, even though it ran perfectly. A young carpenter bought it with great intentions, although I have my doubts as to whether those ever materialized.

People joke about the cost of boat ownership, but not me. It was a wonderful way to spend time with friends, and my now-adult kids had a great time learning to ski behind it as youngsters. 'Still get a twinge in my lower back from time to time due to a bad fall skiing fast in 1978 that put me in traction in the hospital for two weeks...but, hey, no pain, no gain, eh? BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    Truly a wonderful boat and one I'd love to own.

However, it's been for sale on various sites for five years now, including eBay,, so the marketplace doesn't share the owner's enthusiasm.

BTW, the story about the Granetelli effort at Bonneville with Packard V8s is totally unsubstantiated. No written or oral history record exists as far as several researchers have been able to find. Maybe that's why no Packard enthusiasts have stepped forward to buy the boat. One that nice doesn't need wild fabrications clouding the provenance. jack vines
                    Good points all around, Jack. If one appreciates gorgeous wood boats with unique power, this one ought to sell at that price without any BS at all. BP

Comment

Aside from it possibly just being C/L spam as someone suggested above, there is a huge wooden boat show at Lake Tahoe around the time of the Hot August Nights car event: http://www.tahoewoodenboats.com/ .

If you're going to fish, you want to throw your bait in the right pool for what you want to have strike your hook.
                      I didn't see a listing for Glen Cove Boat Works, although Glen Cove, NY is on L.I. (maybe not anymore?!). The trees in the photo clearly aren't from around here.

Kind of a bummer. If it had been up at Tahoe, it would have been fun to have a close look at it.

Comment

Working...
                      X