No power brake reserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: No power brake reserve

In my '63 Avanti with a recently rebuilt booster and new m/c, lines, hoses, etc.... When the engine shuts off I have absolutely no reserve pedal for braking and believe me, it's a trouser-chili moment when that happens unexpectedly. I fear a traffic situation and my engine dying.

I have, as far as I can tell, no vacuum leaks at the booster or carb, using a good hose and clamps at both ends. Do I need an aux tank? Thanks!

Did you test your vacuum check valve? Sounds like it is bad.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

^^^ Check valve ....or improperly rebuilt booster that is leaking....

Comment

Do you even have a check valve where the vacuum line enters the booster, Tom?

As has been said, that's most likely the problem. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Tom,
          Go to NAPA and get their #89000 checkvalve. Be sure to check it by blowing thru it, from both ends. It's only supposed to work in one direction... They are 'Made in C....' and I've seen 2 out of 4 go back...
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

In the words of Lionel Barrymore; "Well I'll be dipped in gravy"... Didn't know I needed one!
            Shows how much I know about power brakes. Thanks, Guys!!

Comment

Working...
            X