Still isn't running right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Still isn't running right

Ok so I've done a complete tune up on the car, had the carb rebuilt and put two accelerator pumps in thinking the first one in the rebuild kit was bad, but the car still is cutting out. At about half throttle, or just cruising and giving it a little gas it cuts out. Kind of like a newer fuel injected car does missing. I dont know where to go from here? Buy a whole new carb? It's a Stromberg WW 6-128. Is this the correct two barrel carb for the car?

Have you checked other things, like the plug wires, vacuum advance, points&cond. moisture in fuel, during your tune up?

Comment

I had one do that once, and it was the wire from the points to outside the dizzy that was bad. The insulation looked perfect, but the strands inside were broken. When the advance plate moved just so, it would stumble and spit.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

^^^ Yes, check/replace the flex wire from the points to the side terminal of the distributor. There should also be a flexible ground wire from the breaker plate to ground, I have had both of these fail. Whenever the vacuum advance rotates the breaker plate, the broken wire drops power to the points but returns as soon as the RPM drops & the wire relaxes again. You should be able to see this by connecting a dwell meter to the dist and revving the engine up to see if the dwell reading changes drastically.

Comment

Agree - sounds more electrical than fuel delivery related.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
          X