Rare Rice burner has Stude styling cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Rice burner has Stude styling cues

I'd never even heard of one of these, but there's MANY little details that look Stude-ish about it.

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Agreed: 'Looks like a Hudson Jet and a Studebaker spent a few hours in a bar before leaving together, Bob. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I never realized the (Datsun/Nissan) Prince was ever sold in the US market. Side note here: I believe that the Datsun B210 engine is the the same or at least a larger displacement version of the Prince's 4 cylinder so parts may be no issue.
      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Agreed: 'Looks like a Hudson Jet and a Studebaker spent a few hours in a bar before leaving together, Bob. BP
        What a small world! There is a Studebaker connection. Bob...if you go to pages 61,62, 63 and 85 of my book, My Father The Car, you will find references and pictures regarding the proposed Studebaker/Prince relationship.
        Stu Chapman

Comment

The seller is the big automotive literature dealer that is near Bob A. He sells a lot of Studebaker literature and used to advertise in TW.

I do not like eBay listings that are not an auction. EBAy is an auction company. Start an auction low and let the market determine what the current value is. The 2006 Avanti that is currently on eBay is similar. He has a BIN, no auction, and does not even have the "make an offer" option that this car listing has.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
            I never realized the (Datsun/Nissan) Prince was ever sold in the US market. Side note here: I believe that the Datsun B210 engine is the the same or at least a larger displacement version of the Prince's 4 cylinder so parts may be no issue.
            This 1959 Prince was made by Fuji. The Prince wasn't merged with Datsun/Nissan until 1966.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

They were sold in Hawaii. The Studebaker dealers in Honolulu and Hilo both took on Prince when Studebaker quit.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                This 1959 Prince was made by Fuji. The Prince wasn't merged with Datsun/Nissan until 1966.
                I didn't know that Fuji owned Prince, I just thought they owned Subaru.
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Looks kinda like a minature 56 or 57, to me.

Comment

Most Japanese automakers of that period borrowed from British car companies. This Prince does show some Studebaker influence, but the front end styling, particularly around the grille and front bumper and the high set taillights also shows some Hillman cues. The 1957 Hillman Minx was designed by Raymond Loewy and shows Studebaker influence.

Terry

Comment

What amazes me is that he found a second car from which to draw spare parts! The Datsun engine I am told was derived from the British Austin engine. With the British presence in pre-war Asia I can see the carryover.
                      Tom
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                        What amazes me is that he found a second car from which to draw spare parts! The Datsun engine I am told was derived from the British Austin engine. With the British presence in pre-war Asia I can see the carryover.
                        Tom
                        The early Datsun engines were Austin engines built under licence from Austin. Likewise, the early Isuzu engines were Rootes Group derived. Not only did they look like the British units, they sounded like them, including the transmission gear whine.

Terry

Comment

I was in Japan in '81 and these were all over. No synchro, though. At a stoplight, as a courtesy, everyone would turn their headlights off and sit with parking lights until a green. Then they all turned on their headlights, and GROUND into first. I thought is was hilarious, so I waited for another light, then another....repeat performances every light. That was entertainment!
                          Last edited by warrlaw1; 11-01-2012, 06:04 AM.
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

A lot of ex-Studebaker dealers took on the Datsun franchise, including the one in Calgary and in Lethbridge. Here is a Datsun 'rice burner'; the twin-carb "SSS".

Craig
                            Last edited by 8E45E; 08-30-2013, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                              Looks kinda like a minature 56 or 57, to me.
                              I sorta see a '56 Stude in the front- but the rest- not so much.

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              The seller is the big automotive literature dealer that is near Bob A. He sells a lot of Studebaker literature and used to advertise in TW.
                              Time for a show of hands-- who has NOT bought something from this seller?

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              A lot of ex-Studebaker dealers took on the Datsun franchise, including the one in Calgary and in Lethbridge. Here is a Datsun 'rice burner'; the twin-carb "SSS". Craig
                              Dig the snow tires and the block heater plug...
                              that car means BUSINESS come Winter time!!!
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC
                              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...