Studebakers on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers on TV

I was just watching a show on the Ovation Channel called Song by Song.
    It featured Johnny Cash and went over his early years with June.

The episode had a set of images behind the lyrics to the Kris Kristofferson
    song "Pilgrim" and Cash singing the song; one of the fades in the video
    shows a the front end of a Hawk parked in a sepia toned image.

There have been a few Stude-driving TV characters...

*Aunt Bee on the Andy Griffith Show sequel, Andy of Mayberry, drove a '66 Daytona; it was actress Frances Bavier's own car (and still exists in a private collection)

*Howard Cunningham on Happy Days (played by Tom Bosley), who drove a late-40s DeSoto through most of the series' run, ended up trading it for an early model Lark 4dr--in bright orange--near the end of the series

*Cliff Clavin on Cheers (John Ratzenberger) drove a Studebaker; though the car is never seen on-screen, Cliff is mocked in one episode by one of his postal colleagues for driving a Studebaker

Any others?

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
      There have been a few Stude-driving TV characters...

*Aunt Bee on the Andy Griffith Show sequel, Andy of Mayberry, drove a '66 Daytona; it was actress Frances Bavier's own car (and still exists in a private collection)

*Howard Cunningham on Happy Days (played by Tom Bosley), who drove a late-40s DeSoto through most of the series' run, ended up trading it for an early model Lark 4dr--in bright orange--near the end of the series.

S.
      Funny you should mention these examples:

* Frances Bavier was a neighbor of my aunt on Sycamore St. in L.A. They had two things in common - morning dog walks and Studebakers.

* Tom Bosley did a commercial for the new 1956 Studebakers.
      Tom Bosley in an ad for the 1956 Studebakers. Tom Bosley October 1, 1927 - October 19, 2010I read that he got his start on TV doing Studebaker commercials.
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

The major Studebaker facetime I'm aware of is Wilbur's Lark wagon that pulled Mr. Ed in a trailer on an episode where they went to Mexico!

Comment

Mr. Addison, the Post's neighbor, had an Avanti. I had no idea what kind of car that was when I saw it for the first time as a kid but knew it was cool.

I like to tell people Studebaker's product placement advertising worked on me.
          Jeff DeWitt
          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Originally posted by JeffDeWitt View Post
            Mr. Addison, the Post's neighbor, had an Avanti. I had no idea what kind of car that was when I saw it for the first time as a kid but knew it was cool.

I like to tell people Studebaker's product placement advertising worked on me.
            Well it looks like all you got is Mr. Ed's Champ Pickup!! Lol!
            Studebaker actually did give him (maybe his owner!) A Champ Pickup and a Horse Trailer!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wow, I don't remember seeing the Avanti. I watched the show enough, so I probably saw it. The only reason I remember the Lark wagon is that I happened to see that episode sometime in the past 10 years. I want to say it was a 59-61 model, iirc.

Comment

Working...
              X