PDA

View Full Version : Question on 64-66 hood ornaments

Scott
10-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know why SI has reproduced the standard hood ornament for 64-66 Studebakers, but not the better version with the spring in it to keep it from breaking off? I've never seen a real one, but I'd love to get one. If anyone has one, please let me know! I don't think I imagined they exist. :confused:

SN-60
10-28-2012, 06:18 PM
To: Scott,-----A spring loaded '64 'S' hood ornament?......that would have been a great idea.....but they were introduced on domestic cars much later on (around '69?) A Federal thing.

StudeRich
10-28-2012, 06:21 PM
This spring mounted unit was never released for Canadian & U.S. production, so there are virtually NONE in existence.

This would triple or quadruple the cost to SDC CASO's, already a bit pricey at $55.00.
Go figure, how many could be sold? About 100 in ten years? :ohmy:

The big reason is the tooling exists for standard ones used on all production Cars, the tooling has to be made for the experimental one. :(

Studebakercenteroforegon
10-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Actually the original tooling is not being used on the reproduced hood ornaments. The originals were die cast zinc, cast in a high production H-13 tool steel casting die. The reproduction ornaments are some lower production process that doesn't yield an excellent surface finish, thus more secondary labor is required to produce an acceptable finish. I'm not complaining, since they are much better than nothing.

2R5
10-28-2012, 06:40 PM
I've seen the original spring ornaments but I think the reason people don't put them on their cars is you have to cut a small hole in your hood to allow for the ornament to swing thus most people just put these in there parts stash.

Scott
10-28-2012, 06:53 PM
So, I'm hearing two different things. Some say it was experimental and 2R5 makes it sound like they were produced.

Scott
10-28-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't know why Ed would not have gotten the original blueprints to make new tooling from (and they probably do exist), even if it was in lower grade steel. I've noticed in some other reproductions, that it looks like a cast was made from an existing part, resulting in a degradation of detail. I've seen the reproduced hood ornaments and that 's exactly what they look like.

studegary
10-28-2012, 06:57 PM
I have seen many of the spring loaded '64-'66 hood ornaments. I owned at least one NOS one. I do not remember the need for an additional hole. The ring and S pivoted on the base. I am now sold out of both types of NOS '64-'66 hood ornaments. I believe that the spring loaded one was required in some European countries before it was required in the USA.

COMMANDERPINK1
10-28-2012, 06:59 PM
I think 2R5 is only talking about the Brand Xs made much later than any Studes, There just wasnt any spring loaded hood ornaments on the hood you are refering to.
Tom

2R5
10-28-2012, 07:13 PM
No I'm not....they were made.
Last one I seen for sale was at the Omaha meet....wanted to buy it but if I recall the vender wanted $65 for it and that was just a little much for me. Thats when you could buy a nos regular type for about $20

2R5
10-28-2012, 07:23 PM
I think we need Ray Martin to get into this conversation....I know he still has one of these and I'm sure he told me that a hole had to be cut to install them.

Bullet
10-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Gary is correct on the spring loaded ornaments. They were available in some European conuntries only. 2R5 is also correct that you have to cut a hole in your hood (Lark types) to install it. I have a picture of one of the spring loaded ones, but have never owned one. They are very expensive. Back in the late 80's there was a small article about this in the tech section of TW as I remember, because alot of kids back then were breaking them off for trophies. It was a differerent design than the European ones. But again a hole had to be drilled. The non-factory one used a wire between the two bolts that held the "S" on and then used a spring on that wire that then connected to one of the bolts on the hood latch. I did not want to drill a hole in my hood, so never bought or used one.

I will look for the picture of the factory European one and post the picture.

Mark

studefan
10-28-2012, 07:56 PM
I have an NOS spring type hood ornament in the basement somewhere. I just spent 10 minutes looking for it but didn't locate it. I am sure it's here though as I saw it a few months ago. I'll dig some more tomorrow and try to post a picture.

Scott
10-28-2012, 08:02 PM
I'd love to see a picture. I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of one a long time ago. I've seen so many broken original style ones, I thought the springing ones would be a really hot item

mbstude
10-28-2012, 08:43 PM
I had an NOS spring loaded one. Sold it to a friend for his '66 Wagonaire. Looks just like the US production ornament when mounted on the car.

HAWK64
10-28-2012, 09:20 PM
I agree that the spring loaded variety was for the European market as a safety issue, somewhat like the 63/64 GT Hawk illuminated spears on the front of the upper fenders which had a flush type alternate which I think was a European safety style also. I did have boxed versions of these & still have a NOS spring loaded version of the emblem.

studegary
10-29-2012, 12:00 PM
I took a picture of my last NOS spring loaded hood ornament. I sent it to Fred Fox. I think that he used it in Turning Wheels (years ago).

Scott
10-29-2012, 02:02 PM
I noticed a NOS base on ebay today and its the same as the ones I have (regular issue hood ornament). Has anyone seen just the S part for sale? I could just attach a good or new one on the base I already have (well, I have two or 3 of them). I guess a NOS S would look much better than the base, but I'm just asking.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the springy one.

Hey, if no-one wants to put an extra hole in the hood, then why the premium for the spring loaded ones? Rare, but not wanted???? I don't really see a problem drilling an extra hole in the hood, since it would ALWAYS be covered anyway! Plus, it's a stock option.

Orestudeguy
10-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Scott,
Can you duplicate them? Like you did the "Hawk" emblem.

Bordeaux Daytona
10-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Stude International was selling just the circle "S" part during the International meet. They were reproductions and weren't as good as the originals. I bought a couple but I can't remember what they cost, maybe $18 ea. They might have been seconds since a while back some were made where they base looked like they said "Sludebaker"
I have a spring loaded ornament too but I'm not sure where I stored it. I might be wrong but I thought that the circle "S" is the same as a regular one. They just attached a metal tab to it. The base is the different part but maybe that could be modified or reproduced.

Scott
10-29-2012, 04:39 PM
If I had the blueprints I could duplicate the ornament with no problem! I could create a 3D cad file. I could even come close using an original part and a micrometer (I've got one here...somewhere....)

Chris_Dresbach
10-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Does anybody here that has/had one recall a part number cast into the srping loaded ones? I know the common ones have two seperate part numbers for the base and the S part. I somewhat doubt that we have the blueprint for the srping loaded one, but the museum probably would.

mrjazzmillcreek
10-29-2012, 05:44 PM
I now have 2 of the spring loaded hood ornaments and have owned many more over the years. They were made for export only.They look isentical from the outside but .as, ., 2R says you have to drill a hole in the hood to accomodate the spring bracket.They would not be hard to reproduce, or should I say revise the standard model to a spring loaded unit.Could be easily done

Scott
10-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Deleted by me.

Scott
10-30-2012, 12:16 AM
You mean like this Orestudeguy? It's the best I can do without a blueprint, though. Yes, I know the letters aren't there. Click to see it bigger.18616

Orestudeguy
10-30-2012, 05:31 AM
Yea Scott. It would be interesting to see if it could be done reasonably. There is a guy in medford that has one of those "water-jet" cutters machines (name slips me right now) that should be able to ingrave it. The circle "S" doesn't appear to be that complicated.