Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd seat opton

Aack. Option.

When and how often was the 3rd seat option put in the Studebaker wagons? Is it as rare as it seems it might be?

Do you basically have to have the rear cargo area already designed for one, in other words, it doesn't seem to be something you could easily add to a wagon that didn't already come with that option.
    Last edited by LeoH; 10-27-2012, 04:24 PM.

You are correct, it IS extreamly RARE! Especially among survivor Cars.

It was as many things about Studebakers, a very simple installation that could be done in an hour or two at the Dealer or built into ANY standard Station Wagon at the factory.

They just removed the spare tire and bolted it into the tire space, but it only held two small children or adult midgets. They were like most other makes that were rear facing and not a super popular option.

A set of (4) Goodyear "Captive Air" premium whitewalls were included with "inner spares".
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-27-2012, 05:00 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The most that I have ever seen in one place at one time is four (at the dealer in southern NJ).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Inner spares? In other words, tubes?

Comment

No; they were similar to NASCAR Goodyears, a heavy duty inner spare liner with it's own filler hole in the sidewall for a Basketball needle to fill it was used.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My 1963 Daytona Wagonaire has the third seat option, which includes a fold-down step mounted to the tailgate. The third seat is great for transporting basketball players as they have infinite head room with the roof slid forward.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
              Aack. Option.

When and how often was the 3rd seat option put in the Studebaker wagons? Is it as rare as it seems it might be?

Do you basically have to have the rear cargo area already designed for one, in other words, it doesn't seem to be something you could easily add to a wagon that didn't already come with that option.
              When I ordered my '64 Daytona Wagonaire from South Bend they were trying to close down production. They offered me a wagon they had in unsold stock. It had every option I wanted (many), even the exterior color was right, but I turned it down. Reasons- the interior was black and it had the third seat option. South Bend simply cancelled my order rather than try to build it
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Black cars, interior or exterior, are deal breakers here in the sunny state. Particularly without a/c, but even so.

Watch me end up with a black car

Comment

To answer your original question: They can be added without any structural changes. Just gotta have the parts to add.
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Good to know. I'll worry about how much that is if and when I get a wagon to put it in.

Comment

Hello, If anyone has a third seat and parts for sale,
                      Let me know!
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

The seat is a simple design that any upholsterer could fabricate. Perhaps the museum or Studebaker International has blueprints for it that one could get a copy of. If not, I could photograph and measure the seat in my Wagonaire.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                          The seat is a simple design that any upholsterer could fabricate. Perhaps the museum or Studebaker International has blueprints for it that one could get a copy of. If not, I could photograph and measure the seat in my Wagonaire.
                          Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. A 2 door is likely all we'll need, but I do like the 'different'-ness of the wagon. When we start seriously looking, we'll see what's out there.

Comment

SASCO still had some blue and brown third seats before it closed. Talk to Studebaker International, they probably saved them but haven't listed them in their catalog.
                            Scott Rodgers
                            Los Angeles
                            SDC Member since 1989
                            \'60 Lark HT
                            \'63 Wagonaire
                            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

SASCO still had some blue and brown third seats before it closed. Talk to Studebaker International, they probably saved them but haven't listed them in their catalog.
                              Here's the post you made about the seat a few years back. I couldn't find it here doing a search but it showed up by using google.

I wonder if the place that bought all the interior trim has the 3rd seat backs too.
                              I was pulling the seats out of my 64 fixed roof parts wagon a few weeks back and I realized it still had those brackets that the top half of the 3rd seat rest against. The previous owner sold the 3rd seat but he must have forgotten the brackets. I'll try to post a picture of them.
                              The support piece that goes in the tire well probably can be made out of sheet metal. I thought if leaving it out so maybe a mini spare can fit underneath.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X