A Shot in the Dark: Trade r2 engine for Zip Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Shot in the Dark: Trade r2 engine for Zip Van

I still have interest in owning a Zip Van to actually use on my rural mail route. I know where a few are in varying conditions short of road-ready, but have not pulled the trigger on one due to time constraints. I am in a big transition in my life with downsizing stuff and selling properties in preparation of building my dream shop. I am also slowly building a new multi-car oval track team from scratch. I also have my job and the world's most understanding woman. So until the transitionary stuff is done, I am in no position to do a major restoration.

So, here's my proposition: I have a complete r2 engine, bonnet to pan, all fresh: rebuilt supercharger, correct carb, fuel pump, etc. Built by JDP. Zero miles, only run on an engine stand. I bought it a few years back from John for installation in my ultimate Stude build, 62 Daytona r2 clone. That still remains a future plan; but if anyone had a road-ready Zip Van that would be interested in a trade, I might be interested. It would have to be a decent vehicle in and out, and nearly ready to go into service. What I would do is put it in the garage and over the winter, do a Turner disc conversion and a careful bumper-to-bumper check and service, set up the interior the way I need, and be ready to go right onto the route as soon as the salt is off the roads.

This would be an actual, real-world service vehicle; so it doesn't need to be perfect. I know how to do anything it might need, and I can keep it in shape for the 5 or so summers I have left before retirement, at which time it would revert to an artifact, driven just for fun. I've always thought this would be great PR for both Studebaker and the USPS.

So, if you have, or know someone that has, a Zip that might be interested in a trade, contact me here or at bams50@msn.com . I will be building my new place for cash, so I am not willing to pay boot money; but a ready r2 should be about equal in value to a nice Zip van.

As I said in the titile, I realize it's a shot in the dark. I am perfectly happy to hang onto the engine for my original plan, so it will not be for sale. But if a trade can happen, that would be cool.

Thanks everybody!
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hey Bob, why not take a slightly different "shot in the dark" by combining your past & present projects??? Then you will arguably have the "Fastest Dual-purpose Postal Rural-Route'r" in the Land!!! Sundays; Drag-Race …other days; Run-your-Route. The ultimate "Play & Get-paid" personal postal vehicle, so to speak!!!

After retiring from its "Road & Track" days; think of the historical value your R2 Supercharged Studebaker Zip Van would have to the Studebaker National Museum!!! Hey, it appears they already have a display spot reserved for your "Rural-Route'r" …right next to Ron Hall's famous racing Avanti.

And to help get you inspired; here’s a "Dual-purpose Postal Truck" in action. This one I actually helped build in a former Studebaker Plant here in South Bend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXyec7Pm9kQ
    Last edited by Welcome; 10-27-2012, 08:38 AM.

Comment

LOL! I love your sense of humor, but I am serious about this.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Sunday morning bump...
        Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

(bumpity, bump bump1-in-a-MillionBUT6,900 people out there somewhere waiting to do that trade with YOU!!!

Good Luck!!!

Comment

I don't think anyone on this forum has a nice, ready to use Zip Van. The one Jeff Rice has is probably your best bet and wouldn't take more than a couple of weekends to get going. In fact it's the only one that I know of currently for sale anywhere. You're probably better off to sell the R2 and use that cash for a Van.

The SNM already has a Zip Van. But it won't be setting any speed records since the engine is seized. <grin>

Comment

Bob , I have a cardboard puzzle of a zip van ....would you consider that trade ?
              <g>
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

There is the one I posted a few months back but has been sitting for a few years but still looks to be all there he would trade but then you might not, last time he tried to sell it he wanted $3500.00 but not sure who much and the then add west coast to east coast.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Bob,
                  Chances are, eleven-and-a-half thousand more people will see your inquiry if if you take advantage of your free want ad in TURNING WHEELS.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks everybody.

I know all about Jeff's, and talked to him this week about it. But- again- I am not in a position to do a major rehab of anything right now. I also do not want to sell the engine hoping I can find a van... nor do I want to find one, make a deal, sell the engine, and have the seller change his mind. Then I'd have money, which can be made anywhere, but not a zip van or r2 engine, neither of which are usually readily available. Not what I want- hence my trade idea.

And, again, as said in the thread title, I am aware of the odds of finding the right deal. In fact, the odds are so small I haven't deemed it worth the effort to write out and mail an ad to TW. More people read and spread the word on this forum than one might think; anytime I've actually needed something I've gotten it right here.

In the end, I'll leave it in God's hands. If He thinks it's a good move, a deal will materialize. If it isn't, it won't. That's worked powerfully for me thus far.

We shall see what my main Boss says
                    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      In fact, the odds are so small I haven't deemed it worth the effort to write out and mail an ad to TW. More people read and spread the word on this forum than one might think; anytime I've actually needed something I've gotten it right here.
                      Sending Art and Ann an email is no more effort than posting on the forum..

Only trying to help here Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        Sending Art and Ann an email is no more effort than posting on the forum..

Only trying to help here Bob.
                        Of course I know that, and I appreciate it! Sorry if I gave the impression that I thought you weren't...
                        Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Thanks all for the leads. Found a few that I never knew were out there! I'm still looking for a ready driver, but there are more possibles out there than I had imagined, both restorable and parts. Who knows what will turn up?
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

This is not far from what I did with my Zip Van. I traded it even for a 1964 Daytona hardtop, V8, AT, 47(?)K miles. My Zip Van was ready to use and came with cartons of NOS parts. I had replaced the Zip Van's engine with a low mileage 1964 Studebaker pickup engine and I had repainted the entire Zip Van. It was insured, registered and state inspected. It was driven to NJ after the transfer.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What is the serial number of the R2 engine please?
                              edp/NC
                              \'63 Avanti
                              \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                              X