For anyone considering a GM transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: For anyone considering a GM transmission

I went to Art Carrs shop in Westminister (So. Cal.) this morning to pickup a 200-4R trans. and converter.

They let us watch them load the trans. into their trans. dyno and watch as the operator put it thru its paces to verify pressures, shifting, etc.

Art had some great old time war (drag racing war stories..!) stories, all....of his help was more than willing to help and answer all of my questions without being annoyed (at least outwardly...!) about it.

They even have a deal (10% off) going on till Dec. right now.

All in all...great morning and well worth the trip.

Mike

P.s. - No...not being paid for this...just letting anyone interested know, a frendly knowlegeable shop.
    I even asked about the guarentee and removing the BOP "ears"....he said no..no problem...!

Art Carr is pretty much a legend

BTW, Marv Ripes was one of the honorees at this year's California Hot Rod Reunion. Mr. Ripes and his A-1 transmission biz developed the race modifications to the Powerglide in 1961 that are still in use today.

The high HP cars today that need one shift use a Powerglide. More than one, generally a Lenco.
    Attached Files
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

So is this 1000 HP thing a Art Carr or a Marv Ripes?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Arts transmissions as well as Scott McClay Engineerings ( http://scottmcclayengineering.com/transmissions ) (as well as others) will handle 1000hp.
        I've got two of Scotts transmissions in two other cars. Just thought I'd try something else. Scott mainly builds the 3 speed (T-200) versions, but will do the T-200-4R when asked.
        His three speed units are behind some pretty powerfull engines in Stock, Super Stock and Comp. Eliminator. I've known Scott a long time, he was one of the original guys to modify the T-200 for drag racing.

As for the Lenco comment....not really. No such trans. allowed in Stock or Super Stock...many, many cars..! Also, more thAn half of the Comp. Elimantor cars are running some form of modified automatic.
        Even up in the A and B dragster, there are still about half are automatics. The faster, high horse engined cars normally use a form of the old Powerglide, while many of the lowered powered cars use the three speed transmissions. The modified T-200 and the modified 904 Chrysler.
        I'd say, at any given NHRA race, Comp. Elim.,....maybe .25/.3 % are Lencos. Even a few Lenco cars use torque converters..!

And as for A1's Powerglides...same thing, probably one of the strongest automatics around. You just need more horsepower to keep the engine within its power curve using only two gears.
        Lesser powered/heavier cars need the "extra" gear to keep the engine in its "happy" spot.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X