Granatelli land speed record & AVANTI II production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granatelli land speed record & AVANTI II production

How long did Andy Granatelli's production car land speed record stand? Question came up at weekend car show and when was designation 'AVANTI II' dropped. I recall reading that one of the many subsequent Avanti owners dropped the "II" and simply called them Avanti. Ken, Deltaville, Va

1963-1964 were Studebaker Avanti. 1965-1982 were Avanti II. 1983-2007 were Avanti.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe at least one of the production records stood 29 years, although I don't recall which one.
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

ISTR top speed stood for a loooong time, 'till beaten by the Corvette.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Avanti II removed from the car with the mid-year production of the 20th anniversary edition of the Avanti by the then company owner Steve Blake
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

To: Avantidon,----Yes, I guess Blake didn't like the II designation at all! (I remember back in the late sixties-seventies when a few Studebaker Avanti owners would replace the 'Studebaker' nameplate
            on the decklid with the 'Avanti' script........then more recently some of these cars, while undergoing restoration, having the Studebaker nameplate re-installed on them (Amen!)

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
              Avanti II removed from the car with the mid-year production of the 20th anniversary edition of the Avanti by the then company owner Steve Blake
              Don - Does this mean that 3776 would have Avanti II and 3801 would have Avanti?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X