64 hawk restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 hawk restoration

Started to tear into the hawk today to get it ready for the restoration.Why is it they alway look worse in day light then they did looking under them in dim light. The body shell will need a lot of baceing before it comes off the frame. I knew the shell was rough but this is going to take some major work. The rockers are gone with just a peice of angle iron welded in with the rocker mldings covering them up. The inner rear fenders are missing on the lower 3-4" as well as the uppers where the fender bolts at the roof line. Floors are all fiberglass at the inner fender under the back seat. Oh well I wanted a 64 I guess I'll just have to make the best of it. AS they say SUCK IT UP BOY.
    Attached Files

The 1/4 panel someone just put a peice of tin over the bottom at the lower behind the door that will all have to come out. Once the paints off I'll have a better idea of what I have to work with.
    Attached Files

Comment

I think you be dollars and years ahead to find a better shell.
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

To: swvalcon,-------It's all labor........if You have the time go for it.......sure a better body would be nice, but after seeing the job you did on the deck lid I believe You can handle this.

Comment

I have a good body shell and frame from a 1962 Hawk, it comes as a complete driving car with a rebuilt engine and reupholstered seats for $7000.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
            The 1/4 panel someone just put a peice of tin over the bottom at the lower behind the door that will all have to come out. Once the paints off I'll have a better idea of what I have to work with.
            I actually thought the rear fenders were in great condition, I had no idea that this fender was patched. I'm feeling better and better about having sold this car.
            When you get it finished, it will all have been worth it. Good luck!
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
              I actually thought the rear fenders were in great condition, I had no idea that this fender was patched. I'm feeling better and better about having sold this car.
              Brent, I wouldn't lose any sleep over that!! After all, the floor was above expectation. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-my-64-gt-home Six of one; half a dozen of the other. In any case, it will be a nice showpiece once its all restored!!

Craig

Comment

Brent. At the very least I'll have some great before and after pictures for my restoration scrap book. As long as I've been doing this very few are easier than you think so nothing new. I'll agree with you I thought the body parts where pretty clean myself. I dug into the 1/4 tonight and will post pictures tomorow. Really hacked up on lower front. I knew what was there for rocker panels so that was no surprise. Knew the shell was rough but as I said when you get into the day light it kind of slaps you in the face.

Comment

I have 2 nice 63's that a deal could be made if interested can sell either one with out a lot of the other parts, engine, trans, power steering seats you name it I have it, a few mile away but then that is where the better ones come from.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

I've fixed much worse. Believe it or not, many of these parts and panels fall in to the realm of finite resources.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Mo offense intended but it might make a better parts car so that better ones can survive. You can always swith the tags. cheers jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                        Mo offense intended but it might make a better parts car so that better ones can survive.
                        What kind of a comment is that! ANY '64 Hawk deserves to be saved!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          What kind of a comment is that! ANY '64 Hawk deserves to be saved!!

Craig
                          I could not agree more. My 64 Hawk has rust and I just working through it one part at a time. These cars are rare and worth the time and money to save. I will be watching for your post Swvalcon and I know I will learn a thing or two as you go along.

Comment

!/4 panel Lt side

This is what was under about 1/2" of bondo. Beyound repair so I cut it out and will build a new lower panel.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That rot behind the qtr panel looks all too familiar. The "good" thing about is is you won't need to finish off the repairs to perfection as they get hidden under some undercoating when the fender is back on the car.

Your a braver man than me fixing the fender bottoms though. I elected to locate solid replacement ones and even those had enough dings and scraps on them it took seeming forever to hammer/fill/block them out. I was not confident I could weld in a patch and get the curve right on the originals.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                              X