Back home from Fla.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back home from Fla.

Miss Edie, josh and I drove the GT to Jacksonville for the Zone Meet. Even though I lived there for 15 years, I got lost going in. They moved 20th st! Finally got on the street that would take us across the Matthews Bridge and when we got there, the bridge was closed for repairs. Once we got across the St.Johns I went straight to the hotel
    I heard the car count was around 40. I think this was the year of the GT. I counted 9. There might have been more.

This was the first time I have ever seen 2 Orignal Sky tops at one show. But there they were. a 62 Daytona parked next to a 63 Daytona. Both with a factory hole in the roof.

Josh asked the owner if he would take him for a ride. "Sure, Young fellow, Hop in" They rode off through the parking lot. A few minutes they came back with 12 year old Josh behind the wheel grinning from ear to ear.

Saw lots of old friends. There are some great people in Florida. Some of whom I have known since my kids wre the age my grandkids are now.
    When we joined SDC the closest Chapters were North Ga. and Orlando. We joined both. This weekend we visited with folks we met then from both chapters. Long enduring friendships built around long enduring cars. Many of us still have the same cars we had back then. In many cases the cars have held up better than their owners.

Oh well, Time marches on... All in all it was a great weekend.
    Last edited by rockinhawk; 10-21-2012, 04:39 PM.
    Neil Thornton

Rockinhawk sad to say but for most of us our cars will be here long after we're gone.

Comment

"In many cases the cars have held up better than their owners".

This is true Neil. I had a incident, last week, were I was putting more protective coating on bare areas on the roof of my 53, behind the sunvisor locations. My neighbor said: Why are you doing that? That car will out last you already. Something I never thought about when I was younger. O well one of the grand chillun will enjoy.

Comment

Looks like I missed a good one! Email from Steve Cade:

I don't know how to post, but would you tell grandpa Neil there were a good fifty cars/trucks, two 4 door Avantis, a few 64 Hawks and several Avanti convertibles in attendance. We also had a number of old
        time SDC guys present and a good number of them were Combat Vets. For me, that was the best. The meet was well done and a great time was had by all. I wish you were there. Take care. Stephen

Comment

Thanks for the input Stephen. I didn't count the cars myself, I just heard someone say 40 or better. I did count the GTs as that is what I was driving. at least 3 were 64s.
          It was great to see you, Martha,and Durwood,as always. Glad you skipped opening day to be with us. NT
          Neil Thornton

Comment

[QUOTE=rockinhawk;689289]Miss Edie, josh and I drove the GT to Jacksonville for the Zone Meet. Even though I lived there for 15 years, I got lost going in. They moved 20th st! Finally got on the street that would take us across the Matthews Bridge and when we got there, the bridge was closed for repairs. Once we got across the St.Johns I went straight to the hotel
            I heard the car count was around 40. I think this was the year of the GT. I counted 9. There might have been more.

Neil,

I know I had a great time. Since I was pressed into service as a replacement judge, I got a chance to look at some mighty nice vehicles. Nice to see so many cars and trucks that have all ready out lived most of the original owners and are about to ware out the second team. I'm positive that they will serve the third team just as well. I was greatly impressed by the third team member you brought with you. Nice kid, and the SDC needs many, many more just like him.

I really aprreciated my visit with you and our discussion about the futrue of the club. I look forward to having many more of these chats in the coming months and years.

I'm really looking forward to hearing from you about that engine problem! The more I think about it, the more I'm certain you may be onto something about the pickup screen being blocked. I hate to say it, but if you have to have a mechanical problem, it's nice to have one that hasn't been written up in the Co-Operator so that you can figure out what went wrong and write a nice article for the Turning Wheels.

Bo Markham
            Bo

Comment

We had planned on going to the meet again this year, but Cathy was not up to it, among other things. We have always enjoyed it when we attended.

I was surprised at the low car count, especially considering that this year it was the Zone Meet as well as the Florida State Meet. If you take all of the non-Studebaker Avantis out of the 50 count, you probably come close to your 40 count. I am not saying anything negative about post-Studebaker Avantis, I have owned one and will likely have another.

Was the 1963 Daytona Skytop a red hardtop (of course it was a hardtop) with 259 and AT? I wonder if it is the one that I have known since new and owned for many years. I sold it to Mass., but a lot of northern cars have retired with their owners to Florida, SC, etc.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

Was the 1963 Daytona Skytop a red hardtop (of course it was a hardtop) with 259 and AT? I wonder if it is the one that I have known since new and owned for many years. I sold it to Mass., but a lot of northern cars have retired with their owners to Florida, SC, etc.
                Yep, it's red and originally was a 259 auto. Ben Rew, the current owner, rebuilt the engine to R1 specs, I believe.

I'm pretty certain that he bought the car from Jon Myer and it's been totally restored since.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  Yep, it's red and originally was a 259 auto. Ben Rew, the current owner, rebuilt the engine to R1 specs, I believe.

I'm pretty certain that he bought the car from Jon Myer and it's been totally restored since.

]
                  Thanks, Matthew.
                  That looks just like my car except for things that are easily changed like exhaust, wheelcovers and gas cap. Of course there was probably more than one red 1963 Daytona Skytop, 259, AT built, but I wonder how many survive.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Neil,

Please pass along our congratulations to the South Ga. Chapter members and the Florida members, for hosting a great S.E. Zone / Fla. State Meet! What a fantastic showing of cars. Super accommodations and a great banquette. I'm sure others that attended would have the same opinion.

Regards,
                    Dan & Barbara Miller

Comment

I counted 54 cars, Just a wonderful day, GOOD WEATHER, GOOD CARS, VERY GOOD PEOPLE.
                      Johnny
                      P.S.
                      If we discount the non Studebaker powered cars and trucks, not many left( Olds 307 pickup, chevy powered pickup and about 4 Chevy powered Hawks and the very good looking Bullet nosed 4.3 Chevy powered.
                      Last edited by toymobile; 10-23-2012, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X