No announcement yet.

The light bulb finally went on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: The light bulb finally went on!

For the longest time we could not figure out why the car's gas mileage was so so poor............complete tune, new E carb..........the works............then the bulb became energized........we believe the reason the car is suffering poor mileage is because of the fuel............specificaaly ethanol lased fuel..........I wonder if any studies have been done as to the deleterious effect it has on fuel economy?

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    For the longest time we could not figure out why the car's gas mileage was so so poor............complete tune, new E carb..........the works............then the bulb became energized........we believe the reason the car is suffering poor mileage is because of the fuel............specificaaly ethanol lased fuel..........I wonder if any studies have been done as to the deleterious effect it has on fuel economy?
    When ethanol fuel became available here a few years ago I told all my guys to use it in the company utes, (7 x 4 cyl Mitsubishi's), their milage reduce by approx 25%. We didn' stay with ethanol fuel for long.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

To: Hawklover,-----What's the car we're speaking of here?

Comment

With ethanol mixed with gas, you lose both power and mileage. More ethanol, more loss. Lots of studies, but I'm not an encyclopedia. I just know how to spell it.

oops, I forgot my joke. Maybe someone is stealing the gas at night. After a while, they'll start sneaking it back in and you'll be amazed at how high your mileage is.
        Last edited by BobGlasscock; 10-21-2012, 02:50 PM. Reason: forgot the joke

Comment

Stude Avanti R-1
          Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          To: Hawklover,-----What's the car we're speaking of here?

Comment

No way around it back here:-(
            Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
            When ethanol fuel became available here a few years ago I told all my guys to use it in the company utes, (7 x 4 cyl Mitsubishi's), their milage reduce by approx 25%. We didn' stay with ethanol fuel for long.

Comment

Maybe its time to visit your local airport. Pump half your tank with high octane aviation fuel and you will solve your problem.
              sals54

Comment

We've had 10% ethanol fuel here in New York for a number of years now. My Lark VI doesn't seem to run any worse than before ethanol. Of course, I'd need to check the fuel milage to see if that was affected. I usually don't worry about fuel milage in my Lark because I only drive 600-700 miles a year.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post

Question: What do you mean by an 'E-carb'?

Here is some info that might help answer your question.

(from the ethanol people)

and

and

Here an opinion
                  *Ethanol (E-10) will not affect your mileage more than about -1%
                  *Ethanol requires that you rebuild your +20 year old carburetor and fuel pump to include ethanol resistant rubber and gaskets.
                  *Ethanol (E-10) absorbs water, so the negative effects of long term sitting need to be addressed.
                  (A must read):
                  http://www.goldeagle.com/engine_care/411onethanol.aspx
                  *The volatiles in today's E-10 evaporate off much faster than the gasoline of older days (ALL gasoline, not just E-10)
                  *Additives are still just additives.

The best thing you can do is use all the fuel in your tank as fast as you can.
                  Treat what little you keep in the tank, and fill the tank when you start your Studebaker journey.
                  HTIH
                  Jeff
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This thread will "get political" and will be locked in ...3...2...1...
                    John
                    1950 Champion
                    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                    Holdrege NE

Comment

Sal good suggestion...........now sal ya think you could get me past all the federal agents that surround JFK airport here in NYC??
                      Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                      Maybe its time to visit your local airport. Pump half your tank with high octane aviation fuel and you will solve your problem.

Comment

E carb= Edelbrock AFB clone.
                        Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post

Question: What do you mean by an 'E-carb'?

Here is some info that might help answer your question.

(from the ethanol people)

and

and

Here an opinion
                        *Ethanol (E-10) will not affect your mileage more than about -1%
                        *Ethanol requires that you rebuild your +20 year old carburetor and fuel pump to include ethanol resistant rubber and gaskets.
                        *Ethanol (E-10) absorbs water, so the negative effects of long term sitting need to be addressed.
                        (A must read):
                        http://www.goldeagle.com/engine_care/411onethanol.aspx
                        *The volatiles in today's E-10 evaporate off much faster than the gasoline of older days (ALL gasoline, not just E-10)
                        *Additives are still just additives.

The best thing you can do is use all the fuel in your tank as fast as you can.
                        Treat what little you keep in the tank, and fill the tank when you start your Studebaker journey.
                        HTIH
                        Jeff

Comment

Many Marinas around here carry E-Free Marine gas. I rode my motorcycle down the coast last summer. most of the little fishing villages advertized non-Ethanol Marine gas. Works good in my M/C
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

I'm seeing around a 10% drop in fuel economy using E10 gas. This is across the board in my 2010 Silverado with a 5.3 engine and both of my Studebakers. I had to richen the fuel mixture in the Studebakers because the use of ethanol requires a richer mixture to keep the engines from surging at cruising speeds. Bud

Comment

Agree, I have had to open the jets about 10% in several of my cars in order to get them to run correctly. Remember, gasahol is really 90% gasoline and 10% filler. These old cars were NOT made to run on this stuff and no one seems to care.
                              1947 M5 under restoration
                              a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X