Best Gasket Compressed Thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Best Gasket Compressed Thickness

I am about to determine the final cylinder volume prior to assembly of a '63 289. Would like to use the Best composite gasket now on hand. It is the type w/ two fiber layers separated by a metalic layer, appox. .055-.062" thick (depending on where it is measured).

Does anyone have the crushed/compressed thickness value after torqing the heads?

Thanks, as always, for the great Forum help, Paul TK

To: Paul Keller,----Can't answer Your question, but thought I'd mention that I was speaking with Dave Thibeault yesterday concerning some 259 overhaul parts, and We got to discussing head gaskets.
    I like to use the thick 'composite' type, and Dave mentioned he had some 'new production' composite head gaskets He was quite enthused about. Said they provided really exceptional sealing.
    Dave's Tel. # is 978-897-3158 (Mass). He may be able to answer Your 'compressed thickness value' question. Good luck!

Comment

The volume is so small between any of the composite gaskets...it isn't really worth being concerned about.
      You're talking less thAn 1cc, so you're talking .ox compression ratio difference. As anal as I am, I would even be concerned..!
      Now if I was going some sort of class racing with my Stude, it would be a different story, and I'd be using the steel shim gaskets.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the perspective - I'll check w/ Dave (he supplied the gaskets - They get high ratings from non-Stude' users) - A very fine person to do business with.. A negative is that Best does not have a tech # or web contact. Also, Best has two types of head gasket - One is the type i have, two fiber layers separated by a thin metal sheet. The other is made of twom layers of thin copper separated by a fiber sheet. Not sure why one type or the other is spec'd for some engines by Best.
        Paul TK

Comment

Working...
        X