Detailed Zip Van photos for the USPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailed Zip Van photos for the USPS

My friend Steve Kochersperger is a Postal History Research Analyst at U.S. Postal Service in D.C. I just received this message from him through Facebook regarding Zip Vans.

"If you have any color pics showing the US MAIL lettering,...dying for some closeups...building a scale model. Thanks"

I don't have pictures myself but thought we, as a forum, can inundate him with some detailed photos. Please post them here and I will forward the link to this thread.

No, Bob! This one doesn't qualify.
    Last edited by rockne10; 10-20-2012, 02:05 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Good thread! I'll be watching this. As many know, I have been thinking about getting a Zip to actually use on my route. But before I do I NEED TO see what the interior looks like, especially to the left of the driver. So far, I've had zero luck. Each time I've asked, a couple people here promised to post some- every request- but never do.

One of my main goals at the IM this year was to get a look at the Zip in the SNM, but frustratingly, it was not on display. If I'm going to spend the equivalent of a late model minivan on one, I've got to know I can make it work.

Maybe this time some pictures will actually materialize. One can hope!
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
        One of my main goals at the IM this year was to get a look at the Zip in the SNM, but frustratingly, it was not on display.
        Yes it was. 3rd floor, same place it's been for a few years now.

Here's my younger cousin behind the wheel. We donated it to the museum before he was born, so it was the first time he saw it.

Last edited by mbstude; 10-20-2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Figures, I looked where it was every time I've been there, which was the basement. Don't know how I could have missed it, but then I never thought of it being there.

Maybe my having a Zip van is just not meant to be.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I would suggest contacting the SNM for factory photos and/or drawings of what you want. Nearly every Zip Van that I have seen, or have seen pictured, is incorrect in some way.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Good thread! I'll be watching this. As many know, I have been thinking about getting a Zip to actually use on my route. But before I do I NEED TO see what the interior looks like, especially to the left of the driver. So far, I've had zero luck. Each time I've asked, a couple people here promised to post some- every request- but never do.

One of my main goals at the IM this year was to get a look at the Zip in the SNM, but frustratingly, it was not on display. If I'm going to spend the equivalent of a late model minivan on one, I've got to know I can make it work.

It is a big box that you can drive either seated or standing. To the left (toward the front) of the driver is what I would describe as a large, flat shelf with a lip on it. I assume that this shelf was used to hold the trays/buckets of mail that were next for delivery.
              Last edited by studegary; 10-21-2012, 02:39 PM. Reason: missing l
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                For example, there are things on the pictured Zip Van that do not match factory pictures or my recollection of original Zip Vans. This is why I say to contact the SNM for factory items.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Original, factory photographs would be the best resource. And the USPS should still have something on file regarding the lettering as to typeset, color, and size, as that would have been their call; not Studebaker's.

Craig

Comment

Here are the two pictures I took this summer at the IM in SB at the SNM.

Mark
                    Attached Files

Comment

When my chapter restored the National Museum Zip Van, we had a sign painter on the crew as well as a USPS employee. He was able to get us the correct colors and approval to recreate the writing that was original to that Van, and the sign painter did all the numbering and lettering by hand. I don't know why it wouldn't be considered correct.

Comment

Concerning the number 322200;

The first number should be the last number of the year made. In the case of the one pictured, the 3 would indicate a 1963 model. The next number indicates load capacity. A 2 is the designation for a half ton vehicle (or maybe it's a quarter ton - I forget). The last 4 digits are simply serial numbers. That is how all postal vehicles are numbered.
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I acquired a Parts Manual for the Zip Van several years ago. With the very same intent - to build a very detailed model of a zip van.

I would gladly share copies from this book. Many line illustration of the parts - just lacks dimensions!

Drew

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00068.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1675792

Yep, It was right there being safely guarded by the Studebaker Brothers. Bob, was the ENTIRE trip a blur, or... ?
                            I too thought it would be cool to have a Zip Van or Rural Router Lark for my route in nice weather, but just trying to keep two RHD Cherokees route ready is enough of a strain on this old man and his wallet!
                            Brad, POSTAL HISTORY RESEARCH ANALYST, what the ????? Wonder what he gets paid? Sure would think that's a position that could be on the chopping block given our (USPS) current financial state!
                            Jim
                            Last edited by LarkTruck; 10-21-2012, 08:19 AM. Reason: no spell check :-)
                            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I know where's there's a decent, complete, Zip Van that could be had for a fair price.
                              Carb and fuel pump are currently being rebuilt with the new rubber that will accept e-10 GAS.
                              New NAPA battery.
                              Lot's of extra parts.
                              12v lift gate on back now, but stock rear bumper (w/riser bars) goes with as well as a decent, straight front bumper.
                              Has wrong wheels and tires on it.
                              Still needs a muffler.
                              When I get it running decent again, I'll stick a new muffler on it.
                              New wiper arms and blades and several boxes of extra parts.
                              Like I said... A fair price. Won't give it away, but won't rip anyone off.
                              Am 50-50 on selling it, but 'The Black Car' is the front burner project right now.
                              I'd love to stuff that R2 Powershift engine in it and make it a Stude rescue rig, with tools and stuff on it to help people at Stude meets (or races)...
                              So many projects....so little time...
                              Some pic's are at (until Dec 1st): http://rides.webshots.com/album/561374130vSddGL
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X