Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

63 Avanti Rear Drums rust tight in 1 yr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 63 Avanti Rear Drums rust tight in 1 yr?

So I uncover the 5 layers of car covers, plastic and tarps for the summer air out and was going to move it from the driveway but... she no budge.
    Not even pulling backwards with a chain.
    It's been living this way for nearly ten years fired up every six months or yearly for the last 3 and driven last Aug or Sept.
    My son say's the drums rusted on and I say "In 1 year?"

I will add that while the car is covered I let the bottom remain open to allow air flow from the front to the back to help keep things dry even in humid conditions. I tell myself the proof that theory is working is having very little mold or signs of moisture in the interior or chrome. (I say very little because at one point 5 or 6 years ago it was allowed to appear. It cleaned up well but now the 'mapping' shows up when unattended)

So I guess I'm asking where to start in your estimations.
    Back the adjusters off
    Hit the space at the back of the drum with something like "Zip" and get it down to the bottom
    or get more aggressive and go for some easy off or Ospho?
    But if I put some acid in there I'll want to pull the drum to make sure I clean it off well
    I'm not as concerned with getting the drum off right now as I am having it roll
    Any other reasons it won't roll in neutral with the brake off?

heading out to back off the brakes... I guess it's a start

Why were the shoes against the drums? Did you have the parking brake applied? If the shoes were so close to the drums that some drum rust has prevented movement, it seems that the shoes were adjusted too tight to start with. I am assuming that the front wheels are turning okay. The only other possibility, that I now see, is a problem in the differential.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Gary, I haven't ever messed with the brakes on this 'sitter' (as in 20 plus years) and had no reason to believe they were adjusted to tight... in fact that was the basis of my questioning what was said and why I asked for some others experience. I just dropped the DS before coming in to wash my hands and checked here before heading back out. I'll let you know what I find out. I have a breaker bar and a socket for the castellated nut and will see what happens with a little pressure back and forth.

Comment

Report:
        Both sides free'd right up after backing off eccentrics.
        Passenger side released and some gunky stuff fell out. Chunks of brake residue looking stuff maybe mixed with rust, I didn't look that close.
        I did locate another drum puller if I don't re-find the one that was here in the garage ( I didn't even know what it was for till a friend pointed it out) until now that I can actually use it....

Comment

Originally posted by R1 3137 View Post
          Report:
          Both sides free'd right up after backing off eccentrics.
          Passenger side released and some gunky stuff fell out. Chunks of brake residue looking stuff maybe mixed with rust, I didn't look that close.
          I did locate another drum puller if I don't re-find the one that was here in the garage ( I didn't even know what it was for till a friend pointed it out) until now that I can actually use it....
          I am glad that it freed up so easily for you.
          Hopefully, you mean a hub puller and not a "drum puller".
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I am glad that it freed up so easily for you.
            Hopefully, you mean a hub puller and not a "drum puller".
            yes... i stand corrected, like I said... I didn't know what is was for.

Comment

Working...
            X