Need Blank Vin Tag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Blank Vin Tag.

I need a blank vin tag for a 47 through 52 will work. The title has motor # and tag office won't look at it. They said put a tag on it with the motor # on it and it would good to go.

I've got a couple of new ones Carl. I'll put one in the box of stuff I'm gonna send you.

Comment

I cannot BELIEVE that a State Licensing Organization would ask you to cheat and lie!!!!!!!!!

This is DEFINATELY NOT the correct way to fix this, it is totally BACKWARDS!

What should be done is inspect the Engine Serial Number, if it matches the Title, understand that Cars in some States were registered by Engine Number prior to 1955. So it WAS totally ligitimate at the time.

Then if they really want to be overly BULLHEADED which they really do NOT need to be, you simply order the production order and prove that this Serial Numbered Car was actually in fact BUILT with THIS Engine numbered Engine so everything is cool.
      So then they simply put the Serial Number from the Plate on the rear door post of the drivers' door on the TITLE.

Doing it their way will cause other States and maybe later, themselfs to question why the Serial Number Plate has been tampered with, a real indication that the Car is stolen or it's identification highly modified.

In most smart States if identification cannot be proven, they issue a State issued Serial Number themself and stick it on the Door Post to use as a VIN Number.

They never ask you to lie and make up your own number!

Wrong, dishonest, Illegal in the 49 other States and very questionable!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 10-18-2012, 11:40 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Matt that will work.

Comment

I strongly agree with Studerich. I would try a different MVB office in OK. Maybe Dave L. could chime in here with his expertise/experience in OK.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

also agree with studerich and Mr. L! nothing but trouble can occur down the line.

does your year and model have the "secret"/hidden serial number on the rear axle area?
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I doubt that Carl's car has any remaining frame numbers. He builds hot rods out of rusted scrap that restorers don't want. Cut him some slack before we lose another good forum member.

Comment

thanks for that info, Matthew.
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

The serial # on the rear frame. It was rusted so bad that I took one off a 47 sedan and put it on. So if it had one it would be different. The problem the dmv don't want to mess with a old car. For $21 a year it is not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    I doubt that Carl's car has any remaining frame numbers. He builds hot rods out of rusted scrap that restorers don't want. Cut him some slack before we lose another good forum member.
                    I don't believe that anyone was upset with Carl but were simply astonished at what his DMV Office told him to do. I took the responses as very helpful and supportive. I would have been very happy to receive such advice personally as it was intended to save problems down the road. Many a project has ended up as a non-driver (or worse, scrapped for parts) because of title woes.
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

The DMV has historically not trained their clerks to deal with anything unusual or not main stream. I usually did all my registering with the local AAA office, but they quit providing that service some years ago.

You could go back to the same DMV, get a different clerk, and get a completely different story/procedure to follow. That used to drive me nuts back in my car buying daze.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Here in California they have made it quite easy to get a new title , cars with the engine number as the ID number can be a problem more so when you send it out of state or out of the country, just a week ago after selling the 49 champion I had for sale and was getting it ready to go I checked the title number with the engine guess what ? engine was changed and there was no number, so I called in a person that does vin. checks and for $25.00 I had new paper work I could take to
                        dmv, that long with a statement of fact saying that I had owned the car for many years and lost the original title, also knowing that the vin. number on the post has never been in the DMV system no problem another $36.00 and now just waiting for the new title in my name to come so we can get the car moving, no real big deal either.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                          The DMV has historically not trained their clerks to deal with anything unusual or not main stream. I usually did all my registering with the local AAA office, but they quit providing that service some years ago.

You could go back to the same DMV, get a different clerk, and get a completely different story/procedure to follow. That used to drive me nuts back in my car buying daze.
                          That is what I was referring to when I said to go to a different DMV office. Back when I was registering many Studebakers, I went to as many as three different DMV offices in the same day until I came to one that accepted the paperwork that I had (legal, but not common/normal).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            That is what I was referring to when I said to go to a different DMV office. Back when I was registering many Studebakers, I went to as many as three different DMV offices in the same day until I came to one that accepted the paperwork that I had (legal, but not common/normal).
                            bob P, could you message me with your phone #, I would like to ask you a couple questions, thanks alot!

Comment

Originally posted by lark63 View Post
                              bob P, could you message me with your phone #, I would like to ask you a couple questions, thanks alot!
                              You put this request with a post of mine. I am not one of the two Bob P's. that regularly post here.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X