Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What other steering wheels fit 56 Champion??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: What other steering wheels fit 56 Champion??

Hi, what other steering wheels will fit a 56 Champion, i.e chev,ford,chrysler.....or do they have there own specific boss.
    Thanks
    Phil

You the boss. cheers jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Hi Phil,

Are you looking to put an aftermarket steering wheel on it? If so, I've seen them pop up on ebay every so often.

Or is yours in poor condition and you're having trouble sourcing a replacement locally?
      Dave Nevin
      Corvallis, OR
      1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I have a 55 Chevrolet Steering wheel that came on a Studebaker. As the Studebaker horn button would not work on it I replaced it with a Studebaker Wheel.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I have an early one on here I think?...came with the car has a Stude horn button...doesnt work,I would really like an original 56 one with a working horn ring, but may have to go with aftermarket if i cant source one...Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0142.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1675754

Comment

That is one weird picture, I know New Zealand but still weird to me.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

It sure seems like it would be easier to fix the problem with the horn than redesign the system. Have you attempted that?

All the parts are clearly pictured in the parts manual.

The major vendors carry the internal horn button parts and you can see where the wire comes out of the lower column. If you ground that wire and the horn honks, the problem is upstream in the wheel. If you ground that wire and the horn doesn't honk, then the problem is downstream. It's a pretty simple system. Maddening to fix sometimes, but simple nonetheless.

You have the standard wheel for the Champions and the Commanders. The presidents got the deluxe wheel.
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-19-2012, 09:11 PM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                It sure seems like it would be easier to fix the problem with the horn than redesign the system. Have you attempted that?

All the parts are clearly pictured in the parts manual.

The major vendors carry the internal horn button parts and you can see where the wire comes out of the lower column. If you ground that wire and the horn honks, the problem is upstream in the wheel. If you ground that wire and the horn doesn't honk, then the problem is downstream. It's a pretty simple system. Maddening to fix sometimes, but simple nonetheless.

You have the standard wheel for the Champions and the Commanders. The presidents got the deluxe wheel.
                Thanks RadioRoy...I didnt know if it was the original champion wheel or not? know I do i will definately attempt to get it working and refurbish the wheel. Cheers!!

Comment

Working...
                X