air cleaner base needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air cleaner base needed

My 66 Avanti II 327 has the Carter carb [I think, fuel bowls to the sides]. Its the carb that came on the car but the PO added a generic chrome air cleaner that does not fit at all. When the air cleaner lid is removed you can see a 1/2" gap between the top of the carb and the air cleaner base. I'm looking for a base that fits the carb to fab up an open elementtype air cleaner.

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Visible fuel bowls = Holley all others are built in, & not removeable. Some aftermarket air cleaner and adapter should fit, I am sorry I can't tell you anything more definite, I only know Studebakers, not Chevys with Ford Carbs! [:0]

I was there at Avanti Motors and watched them install special order Carter AFB's on those 1966's so they would have a good Carb instead of the GM Rochester's that they came with, (the 327 engines) so I can't imagine why anyone would install one of those POS Holley's! [xx(]
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Side fuel bowls = Holley,
      Holley 4 barrels have FRONT and REAR fuel bowls...

Carter AFB's have SIDE fuel bowls...

You can buy adapters to fit the smaller AFB tops to standard aftermarket air cleaners from companies like Summit...

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for the info but thats why I wrote "fuel bowl on sides". It is a Carter type stock for this application [66 Avanti II] carb. I've heard that an adapter is available but am concerned about hood clearence. I'd like an air cleaner that will fit this type of carb [Carter AFB]. Again thanks,

Comment

Working...
        X