Paint details on Stude Loco # 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint details on Stude Loco # 3

My friend is going to paint up an N scale loco, for me. He says models that are just close to the prototype are easier to find and cheaper. Close is fine, for me. Anyway, he is asking is the Orange color correct or is it faded Red. He is doing his homework and found the '64 Stude era S emblem but what is on the loco is more of the lazy S Red Ball logo, is it not? I bought the little RR diorama, that John Birchetto built. His widow had it in South Bend, at the Intl. There is an N scale station that says South Bend, one section of track and a NYC box car with a Red Ball and Studebaker script on it. The is also a '53 coupe, I imagine it's a Micro Machine. So all this is crying for that locomotive.

Gary Hildebrandt
    Gary Hildebrandt

quote:Originally posted by Huck

My friend is going to paint up an N scale loco, for me. He says models that are just close to the prototype are easier to find and cheaper. Close is fine, for me. Anyway, he is asking is the Orange color correct or is it faded Red.
    In looking at the photo is appears to be had shot in old Kodachrome, as the blacks have faded or discolored to the typical Kodachrome blue/purple. The "red" you are looking for is probably a true red, and seems to have aged over the years to an orange color. On early New Haven RS-3 engines that were painted vermillion and green, all the engines over the years did fade to a similar orange color. The stripes seem to be silver in color and the logo is an early version of the Red Ball but slightly stylized.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Huck

My friend is going to paint up an N scale loco, for me. He says models that are just close to the prototype are easier to find and cheaper. Close is fine, for me. Anyway, he is asking is the Orange color correct or is it faded Red.
      In looking at the photo is appears to be had shot in old Kodachrome, as the blacks have faded or discolored to the typical Kodachrome blue/purple. The "red" you are looking for is probably a true red, and seems to have aged over the years to an orange color. On early New Haven RS-3 engines that were painted vermillion and green, all the engines over the years did fade to a similar orange color. The stripes seem to be silver in color and the logo is an early version of the Red Ball but slightly stylized.

Comment

Working...
      X