CANCELLED: SNM Discussion with Designers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CANCELLED: SNM Discussion with Designers

The Studebaker National Museum has had to CANCEL the Discussions with Designers program scheduled for November 10. Two of the headliners, Milt Antonick and Virgil Exner Jr., have become unavailable.

Milt had a unpredicted scheduling conflict come up.

Last Saturday, Virgil Exner, Jr. survived a heart attack, but is hospitalized in ICU. Andy Beckman reports Virgil "very tired but doing well, all things considered," but clearly out of the running for a personal appearance less than a month out.

After discussing it among the staff, The SNM reluctantly decided to cancel the November 10 program.

The event is announced and promoted in the upcoming (November 2012) Turning Wheels, which is currently "on press" and cannot be economically derailed. So, please spread this news to friends and everyone in your various SDC chapters.

The Studebaker National Museum will be updating their website and Facebook page, but would still appreciate any assistance in notifying folks that the event will not take place as advertised. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    The Studebaker National Museum has had to CANCEL the Discussions with Designers program scheduled for November 10. Two of the headliners, Milt Antonick and Virgil Exner Jr., have become unavailable.

Milt had a unpredicted scheduling conflict come up.

Last Saturday, Virgil Exner, Jr. survived a heart attack, but is hospitalized in ICU. Andy Beckman reports Virgil "very tired but doing well, all things considered," but clearly out of the running for a personal appearance less than a month out.

After discussing it among the staff, The SNM reluctantly decided to cancel the November 10 program.

The event is announced and promoted in the upcoming (November 2012) Turning Wheels, which is currently "on press" and cannot be economically derailed. So, please spread this news to friends and everyone in your various SDC chapters.

The Studebaker National Museum will be updating their website and Facebook page, but would still appreciate any assistance in notifying folks that the event will not take place as advertised. BP
    Thanks for sharing that breaking news, Bob!!!

We are SNM members and had planned to attend.

Sending our prayers for Jr's speedy recovery!!!

Comment

My best wishes for a speedy recovery to Exner, Jr. I really enjoyed his talks this Summer and my chance to visit with him. I liked the Chrysler part as well as the Studebaker part.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        My best wishes for a speedy recovery to Exner, Jr. I really enjoyed his talks this Summer and my chance to visit with him. I liked the Chrysler part as well as the Studebaker part.
        Gary: I posted this link some time ago. It is a lengthy interview with Virgil Exner, Jr. which I thought was quite interesting. He discusses several makes of cars including Studebaker.

Last edited by Bob Bryant; 10-16-2012, 12:26 PM. Reason: incorrect link
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
          Gary: I posted this link some time ago. It is a lengthy interview with Virgil Exner, Jr. which I thought was quite interesting. He discusses several makes of cars including Studebaker.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Articles/Exner/Jr/
          Thanks for the link. I found it to be very interesting.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Thanks for the link. I found it to be very interesting.
            "Ditto", Mr. Webb!

great interview/information and excellent pics.
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Well, this bites. I was unaware of the event, but would have liked to have attended.
              I sort-of know Mr. Antonick. He was on one of my tours of the Chippewa Plant and we occasionally email when I'm trying to figure out different aspects of design on the prototype project, he's a great guy to talk to.
              Irionically, I think he told me that he went to work for Ford after leaving Studebaker and a few days after the IM was over I gave a tour to a retired Ford draftsman/engineer!! (Who I also email frequently)
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

My goodness, I'm shocked to hear that Virgil Exner, Jr. had a heart attack. I hope he's on the mend and back to good health. My wife & I really enjoyed seeing him and his other colleagues during the Studebaker Nat'l Meet in July. He did a fantastic job telling all of us his experiences working for Studebaker and answering questions from the audience.
                I'll be praying for his return to good health.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                X