Dr Ralph Stanley's Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Ralph Stanley's Avanti

Since there are some threads about "famous" Avantis, whatever happened to Dr Stanley's Avanti? I remember his Museum running ads in Turning Wheels several years back selling raffle tickets, then later deciding to sell it on Ebay and refunding money to those who'd purchased the tickets.
    Anybody know what became of the car? Dan

Bump. Thanks. Dan

Comment

OK-so I called the Museum; they said a man in New Hampshire bought the Avanti. Are there any folks from New Hampshire on the Forum? Any of you heard of this Avanti? Thanks. Dan

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but who is Dr. Ralph Stanley and why is his Avanti (if he owned one) significant?
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I'm guessing he's one of the greatest blusgrass players of all time,
          but I did not know he'd owned an Avanti.

Comment

OK, a gap in my education. Never heard of him til this day.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by ivorydan View Post
              OK-so I called the Museum; they said a man in New Hampshire bought the Avanti. Are there any folks from New Hampshire on the Forum? Any of you heard of this Avanti? Thanks. Dan
              I wonder how the sale was conducted. Any sales by the SNM should be open and well advertised to the public, especially SDC members. To get an appropriate amount established by a free market, a price should not be set, an auction should be held. This can be by bid offers (closed auction), open live auction or something with a broad approach like eBay (best). If things are sold at a set price, this looks like collusion. When an auction is held at the SNM, as has been done, this greatly limits those that may wish to participate and therefore decreases the outcome for the SNM. When the SNM sells something on eBay, SDC members should be notified of the sale in TW or at least on this Forum. Not everyone regularly follows eBay.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Studebaker Museum had nothing to do with it. The car was sold by the Stanley Museum. They did run an ad in Turning Wheels; that's how I became aware. Anyway, anyone up around New Hampshire ever heard anything about this car? Dan

Comment

Gary L., please read carefully: The first post says, "his Museum running ads in Turning Wheels several years back..."
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Ralph Stanly, is alive and well and as previously stated is remains one of the greatest Blusegrass musicians alive. He was born and raised in Big Stone Gap Virginia, started with Bill Monroe and then went out on his own.

He owned a 1963 Avanti that graced the floor of HIS museum located in Big Stone Gap for many years. It was on eBay at least twice and was advertised in the Avanti Magazine for several issues.

Now I am sure some will ask who is Bill Monroe. so I can expect to answer many more questions. Oh, I have a better idea, Purchase the latest edition of "Blue Ridge Country" Magazine and read their lead article "The Music." This is a very informative article on the men and women who are responsible for the music we today call Bluegrass. Yes, I am a mountain boy with extensive knowledge of mountain music haveing bee born and raised in the true home of Bluegrass - Bristol Virginia/Tennessee. By the way the original Bluegrass recordings were made by Vicotr Records in 1927 in an old RJ Reynolds Tobacco warehouse in none othe than downtown Bristol Tennessee/Virginia. On that album as the first cut were the Carter Family from Scott County Virginia. I guess there are some who will ask me who are the "Carter Family." GOOGLE them as you might be surprised as to what you might learn. You can do the same for Ralph Stanly also.

Thanks for asking about my friend Dr. Ralph Stanley
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I believe Dr Stanley contributed to the sound trac of the movie "Oh Brother where art thou?" I'm pretty sure that was him singing "Oh Death."
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

He was very instrumental in the sound track of that movie and he did sing"Oh Death" which he originally recorded with his brother on an earlier album. The man still plays and tours on a pretty regular basis. I saw him in May in concert here in the Lehigh Valley of PA.

Comment

Never been near the Southeast US but I do love the music. I am very happy that I was able to see Bill Monroe perform live. My favorite musician of that ilk was the late Doc Watson. Are we drifting off topic?
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Who cares if we drift a little as the great Doctor was an Avanti owner in addition to the fantastic music he plays and writes.

Comment

I'm reading Dr. Ralph Stanley's autobiography, "Man of Constant Sorrow", right now but I doubt that I'll learn anything about the Avanti. It's a pretty good read with lots of history about the music, Bill Monroe, Ralph's brother Carter, Keith Whitley, etc., etc.
                              Manuel J. Martinez
                              Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

Working...
                              X