Factory numbers on chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory numbers on chassis

Found the numbers 186-4 on the left rear frame rail of a rusty 63 GT Hawk I took apart. I assume no one knows exactly what the numbers mean but it is fun to think that someone wrote that there 60 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pa070097a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1736614
    54 Commander Coupe driver
    53 Commander Hardtop project
    SE Washington State

I believe Budd made the frames for Stude vehicles at that time. My guess would be that it was the number assigned by either Stude or Budd to that particular order or shipment, probably by rail. Like order number 186, part 4. You still see that kind of temporary marking on things like building supplies being delivered by flatbed truck -- except now it's done with a rattle can of paint.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

I know what that is. That is a chalk number used for production purposes. Each car was assigned a specific chassis and specific body. Those chalk numbers were put on the frames in the storage yard in Plant 1 and each frame was hung on the line is a predetermined sequence. Those numbers were there to keep the line moving in order.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
        I know what that is. That is a chalk number used for production purposes. Each car was assigned a specific chassis and specific body. Those chalk numbers were put on the frames in the storage yard in Plant 1 and each frame was hung on the line is a predetermined sequence. Those numbers were there to keep the line moving in order.
        Chris, are you suggesting these are the "Linesetting" numbers??? TIA

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
          Chris, are you suggesting these are the "Linesetting" numbers??? TIA
          Yes. Couldn't think of the proper name, thanks.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris, I'm amazed by the amount of Studebaker knowledge you possess for your age. Surely, you must have been injected with Studebaker DNA In utero!! It was good to meet you Saturday. You missed a nice party back at Ed's. It was a really nice Studes and guys day.
            Paul
            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Chris is really a fake.

He is really a 150 year old Studebaker brother.

Comment

I have seen many Stude. frames that had the Model Type written in grease pencil on the otboard side of the Left frame rail under the drivers door. VK6, VJ8, VP8 etc. and If my memory serves, maybe some line number.
                Just a factory aid to keep things correct, and simple, easy to read.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
                  Chris is really a fake.

He is really a 150 year old Studebaker brother.
                  I've been foiled!!! I guess now I'll have to post my senior picture from high school....

What's really scary is that without the beard, Clem and I actually look extremely similar. Got to wonder about a few things......
                  Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 10-15-2012, 06:59 PM.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

I don't have a picture to show you, but on the passenger side of the firewall of my '59 Lark wagon is what appears to be initials or something scribbled in the paint/primer with a pencil, before drying. My goal is to carefully scuff the original finish so that the marking remains visible after the new paint is applied during restoration.

JSC.

Comment

On my former '56 Power Hawk - now owned by my son - the characters "X3535" are "crayoned" on the passenger-side firewall. When I obtained the car's build-order, those characters were repeated on the order.

Perhaps this, too, is a line sequencing thing (the numbers have nothing to do with the serial number on the A-pillar). The car has never been treated to a frame-off restoration, so any frame numbers on it are as yet unknown.
                      Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                      61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                      Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                      Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

The numbers 186-4 on my frame are not repeated anywhere on the build sheet. They appear to have been written with some sort of paint pen because the lettering survived a high detergent pressure washing.
                        54 Commander Coupe driver
                        53 Commander Hardtop project
                        SE Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Play Wagon View Post
                          I don't have a picture to show you, but on the passenger side of the firewall of my '59 Lark wagon is what appears to be initials or something scribbled in the paint/primer with a pencil, before drying. My goal is to carefully scuff the original finish so that the marking remains visible after the new paint is applied during restoration.

JSC.
                          That was the inspectors mark. In the body building (building #84) each body would be inspected before going to final assembly. Though not present on every car, several inspectors would leave their mark, usually initials or clock number. The one inspectors mark that sticks in my mind may ring a bell for '56 Hawk owners: "OK CANARY". I am sure that this guy worked other years than 1956, but I have heard about and have even seen a '56 with that marking. Canary was the inspectors last name. If you only have initials (letters) written in either crayon, or paint marker, then it would definately be the inspection mark.
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by cliffh View Post
                            The numbers 186-4 on my frame are not repeated anywhere on the build sheet. They appear to have been written with some sort of paint pen because the lettering survived a high detergent pressure washing.
                            Definately a linsetting number.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                            X