Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Air conditioner

Hey Folks,
    I have a line on an underdash air conditioner console and the underhood compressor. I am told that it is in good condition and the pictures of the console look good. The owner tells me by phone that the compressor turns and is not frozen. My question is what is a fair price and what else will I need to make this unit work in my 63 GT Hawk? If it turns out that the compressor needs rebuilt: seals valves ??? Who does it and how much?

Thanks
    Jim

The hard part of the system is the second pulley that drives the compressor. They are getting hard to find. The next hardest part to find is the mounting plate that the compressor mounts to. It is like 100.00 from Vintage Air, in San Antonio. You did not even mention the condenser, that mounts in front of the radiator. Hoses, are a hybrid affair, in that "O" ring fittings seal better than the flaired fittings that Studebaker and others used at the time. Bob McCain, McCain Auto Air, in Dallas, has parts and will custom make hoses for the York compressors. There are a myriad of small parts that you will need. I don't know what the guy wants for the set up you are looking at, but Bob Helm (advertises in the Turning Wheel) has a complete system for $1400.00.
    I know that a new rotary compressor is $200.00, an adaptor plate that mounts a rotary to a York compressor plate is $50.00. Hoses and fittings are around $250.00, etc. I am sure others will chime in, but this has been my experiences with this issue.

Comment

Thank you! I have looked at the pictures and the main pulley and idler pulley are there. He is asking 100 bucks for what he has.

Jim

Comment

Better to use a modern Sanden compressor, more effective and uses less power if I recall correctly. Either way an A/C will be a good thing to have.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Just to be clear that "second pulley that drives the compressor" is the one (and the necessary spacer too) that goes on the crankshaft, correct?

Comment

I air conditioned my '61 with a kit off ebay for $400. All I had to make was an alternator bracket.
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Sounds like a deal to me?

Comment

I think it was a deal-I'd have never driven it to SouthBend without the a/c. after I got back,I installed a new speedo[bought at the swap meet,a new tach from summit,and cruise control-also from Ebay.
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

What did you get for $400.00? Considering what a compressor costs? Just wondering?

Comment

Bought a used system with York compressor about 10 years ago that came out of another Stude. After about $1200 in parts, hoses, charge/recharge, leak repairs, etc. drove it to the Madison Meet. It lasted only day one of the trip, fortunate since day one was hot and raining. Never did get it right. Strongly suggest you get one of the new systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                      What did you get for $400.00? Considering what a compressor costs? Just wondering?
                      A chinese copy of a Sanden compressor,large condenser,drier,underdash evaporator,Hose kit[put the ends and and crimp]-and wiring.[So,every thing but the freon] The only part I don't care for is the evap is kinda 'cheap' looking,but I putsome dash plaques from car shows on it,looks OK.
                      I figure the only thing major that could go wrong is the compressor,but if it quits I can easily swap it out for a Sanden.
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                      X