Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I knew our Avanti had a gas vent...........but.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: I knew our Avanti had a gas vent...........but.............

I never realized that when filling the tank to the top some gas would be pushed out of the vent tube by the passenger rear side springs.........in over 40 years of ownership we have never seen gas drip out of that rubber vent hose (also filling to the tank top)..........could it be the fact of air pushing out the gas?

Inquiring minds need to know:-)

To: Hawklover,-----By filling an Avanti fuel tank to capacity....and then factor in warm weather and fuel expansion....that 'fuel vent' probably would become a 'fuel overflow'. In My opinion, a vehicles
    fuel tank should not be 'topped off' like that.

Comment

I have to agree...I found out the hard way many years ago with a '63 Avanti I used to own. The gas tank was topped off on a hot, humid summer day...it was parked on a slight slope towards the drivers side. Gasoline running out from expansion all over the body panel and onto the ground resulted. Lesson learned.

Another potential problem with overflow out the vent tube...it can act like a siphon and keep gasoline running out until the tank empties or at least until the fuel level gets below the vent pickup. I found that out the hard way as well with a '70 Avanti.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I never filled an Avanti to the brim unless I was on a trip and just stopping for a refill that would be burned down within minutes.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Duly noted and educated...tanks.........even after 44 yrs of ownership..lots to be learned:-)
          Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          I have to agree...I found out the hard way many years ago with a '63 Avanti I used to own. The gas tank was topped off on a hot, humid summer day...it was parked on a slight slope towards the drivers side. Gasoline running out from expansion all over the body panel and onto the ground resulted. Lesson learned.

Another potential problem with overflow out the vent tube...it can act like a siphon and keep gasoline running out until the tank empties or at least until the fuel level gets below the vent pickup. I found that out the hard way as well with a '70 Avanti.

Comment

Working...
          X