need help locating parts for 64 cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help locating parts for 64 cruiser

just got off the phone with sales at studebaker int'l . very disappointed in their manner of doing buisness and curt response. seems that they will only sell me a power brake booster and check valve for my 64 commander if i send them my core first and then if the one i sent them is not rebuildable it will be my responsibility to find another one that is rebuildable before they will send me one that is currently on their shelf. from the response i got there is no way to tell if any that i send them are rebuildable so i could be buying a few before i got one and was totally indifferent to serving a customer, hello studebaker int, i am a CUSTOMER who is buying parts from you, your customer service is important they do not have a price for 1 without a core replacement first and then only if it passes inspection will they sell you one. so today's big pressing question to all the fanatics out there is where can i get one without a core upfront or buy one outright?? thanks for the help.

posted in error it is for my 64 cruiser not my commander

Comment

Rock Auto may be able to help: http://www.rockauto.com/
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

With every issue there are two sides. If you send them a booster that is not rebuild-able then they are stuck and out the cash value for the core. Also, without a rebuild-able core then they have no product to rebuild. So, the very booster you seek might not be available simply because a rebuild-able core was not provided by a previous customer. I don't mean to chastise you, but rather explain the rational of the need for a rebuild-able core to be provided. It can be frustrating considering the potential for scrounging up multiple cores meeting a rebuild-able condition. It is just part of the necessities of owning an older car.

I am not a "purist" when it come to originality. With such items as a brake booster I would have simply adapted one of a more modern car and likely have gotten it from a Self Serve Wrecking Yard. Cheap, easily replaced and still serving its function. I realize not everyone is that way but as cars get older, parts more rare and pricier, alternatives can be an asset.

Tom
        Last edited by wittsend; 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM.
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

tom,just wanted to buy a part. nohing in catalog mentioned core exchange, was upset with the attitude that was displayed. i wanted to BUY it and they refused to even consider selling it to me. do not try to justify their attitudes. they can run their buisness any way they choose it is their buisness but customer service and attitude needs to be addressed

Comment

Suggestion........take your booster into a local brake shop and they will ( should) send it out for rebuild, its done every day.
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Yeah - after all, SI sends them out to be rebuilt - why not send it out yourself and save the middleman's cut? I know Tulsa brake and clutch offeres this service and they're timely about it too.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

For a 64 Cruiser you can also use Booster Dewey in Portland OR. They do both the disc brake version and non-disc brake version for the 64 cruiser. I had mine done, with out a core exchange for $125 about 18 months ago.

Mark

Comment

Take it to your local NAPA store and ask them to send it to CARDONE to have rebuilt. I had one rebuilt by them, great turn around time, reasonable price and they did a good job. Ed Reynolds has lost sight of the fact that there is not a Studebaker in every other driveway. It is a niche business at the most.
                  Last edited by 31Streetrod; 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

"... do not try to justify their attitudes. "

Sir, I was in no way trying to justify the attitude of this company. I was only trying to point out why they would have reason to require a rebuild-able core. Requirement of a rebuild-able core was one of the major issues of your initial post. They may have treated you rudely and failed to disclose certain aspects contingent to a sale. Being dealt that way would be inappropriate. Thankfully as other have pointed out you have other options to exercise.

Tom
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
                      Take it to your local NAPA store and ask them to send it to CARDONE to have rebuilt. <snip>
                      Before sending it off, you might want to check and see if they require a rebuildable core.

Just sayin'... that requirement is not unheard of elsewhere.
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

What makes one no good? I guess one that has sat out in the weather for a long time and is all rusty might not be good to rebuild, what all is on the inside that might make one no good? just asking as I have a few here in the shop. Maybe I will see what ED pays for cores, one way for me to get rid of them...
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

mark thank you will contact them mon.

Comment

thank you for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                              What makes one no good? I guess one that has sat out in the weather for a long time and is all rusty might not be good to rebuild, what all is on the inside that might make one no good? just asking as I have a few here in the shop. Maybe I will see what ED pays for cores, one way for me to get rid of them...
                              Good question Bob. I sent one in one time that had a dent from collision damage. It was repaired and sent back with no extra charge.
                              I had taken my boosters to a local truck brake shop and they had no problem dealing with them. They even had Hydrovacs on the shelf. Unfortunately they are no longer in business.
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X