64 Daytona Convert.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Daytona Convert.

I am still looking for a nice solid driving convert. Let me know if you have one or know of one.Tom

Try Ellingson Classic Cars. 763-428 7337 He has a beautiful R1, Automatic.
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
      Try Ellingson Classic Cars. 763-428 7337 He has a beautiful R1, Automatic.
      Klif

Comment

Looks to be a 4 speed and not auto. nice looking car but for some reason the Vin. tag has been moved it should be lower just under the hinge.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

My mistake. Don't know where I got automatic from ?
          Klif
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

I would like to see the vin number to verify it's a real R1. They only made 12 R1 Convertibles, 6 packaged, 6 non-packaged. Denny Lockman has one of the fullpackaged cars, I have the other, the other 4 are unaccounted for. The colour of this car appears to be Golden Sand, they didn't make a R1 Convertible in that colour, only one R2 which I have been trying to find for years. Could only be a R1 engine transplant, if it is the real deal then it's worth evey cent the guy is asking for.
            Good luck with your search 9-34.
            Brian Greenall
            Melbourne, OZ
            sigpic

Comment

Hi, Brian: Denny Lockmon sold his red, full-package R1 convertible last year, or possibly early this year. That was the one used in both my and my daughter's wedding.

As for the subject car, I was able to blow up the one photo that includes the driver's door pillar post. The Serial Number is hard to read, but it is clearly a post-January 1, 1964 Hamilton Serial Number and Serial Number plate: Studebaker of Canada, Ltd.

Further, it looks like it has been removed from the car at one time (spot weld areas pulled through), and is currently attached with pop rivets. You may draw you own conclusions about that.

Nobody has seen the engine serial number...or if they have, they haven't reported it.

It could be a real R1 transplant, or a 259 tarted up to look like an R1, for all we know. The current seller is a broker who professes little knowledge of any particulars. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob for verifing that, I didn't know Denny was selling the car, i would have been interested in buying that one. Just it gripes me these guys who advertised cars with certain titles like R1 when they are not.
                Brian Greenall
                Melbourne, OZ
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
                  Thanks Bob for verifing that, I didn't know Denny was selling the car, I would have been interested in buying that one. Just it gripes me these guys who advertised cars with certain titles like R1 when they are not.
                  Brian: Don't feel bad: Denny never actually put the car on the market. He sold it six months before I ever heard about it.

What happened was that one of his retired "car buddies" out there in the Phoenix area became enamored with Denny's '64 about the time Denny found a street rod he wanted to buy. The guy up and offered Denny a doggone good price for the car, IMHO, and Denny grabbed it. 'Can't say that I blame him.

Then Denny bought "his" street rod.

Agreed on people advertising R-engined cars without disclosing they are clones, and providing the engine's actual serial number so prospective buyers can do their own research and arrive at their own conclusions. In this case, Nelson Bove called the seller and the seller professed ignorance. 'Not a good idea when you are talking to "Nels!"

Again, don't feel bad about Denny's '64 getting away. If anyone would have wanted it, it would have been me, given the history of our two family weddings in it, per the April 2006 Turning Wheels. But even I couldn't have afforded to get in the "auction" considering the opening and final bid. BP
                  Last edited by BobPalma; 10-14-2012, 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It was a hard decision to let the car go but I had been wanting the 40 President Club sedan since I missed buying it in 1994. When it came available something had to go and the convertible was the one that had to go. I enjoyed it for 31 years. It went to a good home as that person had dibs on it for at least 10 years. If we still lived in Omaha where I still have a large garage and would have still been working it would have stayed. I do miss it but garages are a problem for me here in Arizona.

Denny Lockmon
                    1964 Avanti
                    1953 Champion Starliner modified
                    1940 President Club Sedan street rod

Comment

Thanks guys for enlighting me on the sale of your car Denny, 31 years is a long time to own a car, proves one thing that R cars are the go! I missed out earlier on another one owned by Gary Firce of PA, another genuine R car but needing an extensive restoration.
                      I have one sitting in my back door here in OZ , original delivered brand new as a CDK, but again it needs everything and the guy is talking stupid prices, we will keep chipping away at it though, he might weaken.
                      Bob, you can't track down 9077 for me?
                      Brian Greenall
                      Melbourne, OZ
                      sigpic

Comment

I know two of the 24 R powered convertibles were shipped to Australia when new. Were they right hand drive?

Denny L

Comment

I went done to Ellingsons and looked at the convertable. It is nice. Engine number is JTJ320. Vin number is C501773
                          It was born Bermuda Brown, W/4speed, Engine #VCC419, Disc brakes +. It also has rear sway bar, TT, and Studebaker traction bars. The car looks like a frame off. Basecoat Clear coat. Looks to have placed in Texas, Class 6, 399 points 1998
                          Klif
                          63 Avanti R2
                          64 Convertible R1

Comment

The colour of this car appears to be Golden Sand, they didn't make a R1 Convertible in that colour, only one R2 which I have been trying to find for years.
                            From a Madd Doodler calender. I think Ray Martin is a forum member. Oddly enough, this calendar car from 10 years ago has the same color, top, door mirror, and spotlight from the R1 that's for sale. Maybe a typo in the calendar? Sure looks to be the same car though.

Last edited by mbstude; 10-15-2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys for enlighting me on the sale of your car Denny, 31 years is a long time to own a car, proves one thing that R cars are the go! I missed out earlier on another one owned by Gary Firce of PA, another genuine R car but needing an extensive restoration.
                              I have one sitting in my back door here in OZ , original delivered brand new as a CDK, but again it needs everything and the guy is talking stupid prices, we will keep chipping away at it though, he might weaken.
                              Bob, you can't track down 9077 for me?
                              Brian: Did Gary Fierce sell 64V19734, the last R-powered convertible built? If so, do you know what happened to it?

I saw it maybe 20 years ago when I was thinking of buying it and you're right, it was only worth "doing" because it was the last factory R-engine convertible...and you still would have been better off rebodying it, as rusty as it was. But at least the OEM R1/4-speed were present and accounted for.

I didn't know I was supposed to be finding 64V9077; the Golden Sand R2 convertible. I'll get right on that 'first thing in the morning... BP

Comment

Working...
                              X