Studebaker Not First to Market with Car Called Lark-Willys in 1952

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Not First to Market with Car Called Lark-Willys in 1952

I was surprised to read in the November 2012 issue of Hemmings Classic Car that Willys introduced a car (not Jeep related) called the Aero-Lark in 1952. It was referred to as simply the Lark in the 1953 model year.

Since Willys was still around in late 1958 producing Jeeps when Studebaker introduced its 1959 model year Lark, did Studebaker have to pay a royalty to Willys for use of the name? I know other car companies used Studebaker names after Studebaker ceased production of automobiles including the Jeep Commander, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Daytona, and the Toyota Land Cruiser. Were those names somehow back in the public domain after Studebaker exited the automobile market?

And was Willys pronounced "WILL-EES" or WILL-LIS?" I am too young to remember the company prior to when AMC took over.

And was Willys pronounced "WILL-EES" or WILL-LIS?" I am too young to remember the company prior to when AMC took over

In West Michigan it was always "WILL-EES" - AFAIR...Bob

Comment

Heck yes, Tom; my Dad was a "Lark" dealer 5 years before Studebaker introduced theirs :

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
        And was Willys pronounced "WILL-EES" or WILL-LIS?" I am too young to remember the company prior to when AMC took over

In West Michigan it was always "WILL-EES" - AFAIR...Bob
        In Western WA I have always heard it that way also.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I covered this in part III of my TW Almanac column on "Having a Lark with Car Names" July 2006. Willys was not the first however with the Lark. That honor goes to the Lexington that introduced their Lark model in 1921. The Lexington was assembled in Connersville, IN from 1910 to 1927. It also made a model appropriately named the "Minute Man." Your challenge is to tell me what car maker was first to use the name "Daytona."
          Incidentally I owned 5 Willys cars at one time....all pre WWII. Yes and I referred to them as Willies (like in "he gives me the willies") as most everyone else did. I believe John North Willys pronounced his name Willis.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Your challenge is to tell me what car maker was first to use the name "Daytona."
            I remember you mentioning this when speaking at the SNM a few years back but just couldn't remember it. I looked it up. Is it Paige?

Comment

Agree with Richard. Everything I have read about John North Willys stated that he pronounced his last name as Willis. And so did the radio ads in the early 1950s. BTW, I owned a 54 Aero Lark at one time, and I think Paul Johnson did, too. Decent car, good on gas (at a time when gas cost less than 25 cents a gallon), but underpowered, even with the 226 cu in F-head 6.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                I remember you mentioning this when speaking at the SNM a few years back but just couldn't remember it. I looked it up. Is it Paige?
                Indeed. it was the Paige. So named as a result of famed racing driver Ralph Mulford setting new stock car records in his boat tail speedster at Daytona in 1921 (102.8 mph).
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	my 38 willys 4 x 6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1675695
                  Skip; My Willys cars were all Fours. While "peppy" off the line they were not much on the open roads. I drove the '38 coupe shown in the above image from my home in East Peoria to Illinois State University in 1964. It was comfortable at about 43mph. This car was all original and had belonged to a little old lady school teacher (no kidding). It had bumper guards and a very rare original Willys radio as options! In the late 30s and early 40s it was the least expensive full size car on the market ($499 in 1937). It would get 30+ mpg.
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

The Willys Americar and the earlier ones were very nice looking. It's a shame they did start building them again after WWII. I like the 33-36s too.
                    I was surprised when the owner guy on that gas monkey tv show pronounced willys as "willis"

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
                      I know other car companies used Studebaker names after Studebaker ceased production of automobiles including the Jeep Commander, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Daytona, and the Toyota Land Cruiser. Were those names somehow back in the public domain after Studebaker exited the automobile market?

And was Willys pronounced "WILL-EES" or WILL-LIS?" I am too young to remember the company prior to when AMC took over.
                      The names have to be maintained, even if the company is still in existance. An example is that what should have been the 1958 Studebaker Starliner became the Starlight because Ford had already claimed the Starliner name.

I always knew the vehicles as "Williees". It is only very recently that I have heard them referred to as "Will-lis" on TV.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The former Studebaker dealer in my town told me that they originally sold Willys Knight before they sold Packards, then Studebaker. He pronounced it "Willis" so I thought he was talking about some other car company than "Willys"
                        Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 10-11-2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Today, one can buy a new Toyota Will-Vi, but only in Japan.

But you can import a used Will-Vi: http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car...oyota/will+vi/

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                            The former Studebaker dealer in my town told me that they original sold Willys Knight before they sold Packards, then Studebaker.
                            Knight's Garage, the Studebaker dealer in Wappingers Falls NY, had been a Willys-Knight dealer. I guess that was fitting with the Knight family name. I remember upstairs in their service "barn" they had a LOT of sleeve valve engine parts.
                            Last edited by studegary; 10-12-2012, 09:40 AM. Reason: missing p
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I always heard it pronounced "Willis" in various parts of the country (navy brat) but we always lived on the coasts so I don't know how it was pronounced inland. The TV commercials always said "Willis" also. But the real proof: In the song "Sugar Magnolia" the Grateful Dead use the "Willis" pronunciation!

"She can dance to a cajun rythm, just like a Willys in four wheel drive"
                              Manuel J. Martinez
                              Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

Working...
                              X