Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flanged Axles in October Turning Wheels..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Flanged Axles in October Turning Wheels..

... is in and has a great article on installing Moser Axles from Fairborn, in an Avanti...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

I have read that article several times. They make it sound so easy. Now if I just had the money for the axles.......

Mark

Comment

I must be tardy on my yearly dues as I have not seen hide nor hair of my October issue. I do have the Moser axles but have not had the time to put it all together. Hope it is a good article and not just a fitting of the axles as I have a full rebuild of the assembly to do. I have all the parts but time is the missing ingredient. Everything is new except the housing and ring and pinion, a 3.73.

It has been a while since I looked at the build so I have a question that just shot to mind. I have a housing that had a 4.56 and I got hold of a Jeep 19 spline, rear center, with the 3.73 so I will use the matching center with the ring and pinion. I have a new Auburn LSD and all new major install kit, bearings and seals etc..., to go in it but will the parts all fit together? As I last did a rear axle 20+ years ago I just wanted to make sure I have gotten it all there before I start. I had heard about some differences in the swapping of parts but can't recall if I have addressed these or not.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just asking what came to my mind. Len.

Comment

Thread title edited to be more descriptive.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

As long as all your parts are for a 19 spline you should be alright. The 27/30 spine(later axles) uses different carrier bearings. Pinion splines changed from course to fine at some point also so it possible the yoke may not fit. The case split point is 3.72 and below/3.92 and above so everything should apply to one or the other.

Comment

Thanks, the original was 4.56 or similar so that I why I got all the center internals an they are 19 spline. Now I just have to wait for the article to see if there is any new information.

Comment

Hey Len -

Nope...no new or different info thAn just installing the axles. I might still have mine, I'll look and let you know. If I've got it, you can have it.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike, But if it's just about installing axles I can do that job pretty well, although I have not done it with the flanged axle yet, just have not done the full rebuild with all these different parts before and was grabbing any info that might shed some light of any differences before I get stuck in the middle with nowhere to go. I will not be rushing that job anyway. I have had some medical problems over the past few months so everything but thinking has taken a back seat. Today is the first day I have been doing anything significant in the garage. Just cleaned up and took stock of the tasks left sitting for the past few months. I have many days and nights ahead to get the car back on the road and the rear axle will be one of the last jobs to get done as I went over the 27 in there only two years ago. So many jobs so little time. Len.

Comment

Len -
                  Yea, I know what you mean. A bike crash put me out for a few months a few years ago.

I just took my axle to Currie for a complete redo - new posi, new ring/pinion, shortened the housing 4", Ford disc brakes, Ford outer axle bearing, 30 spline axles, obviously new bearings..everything.

Mike

P.s. - sorry for sorta hijacking the thread..

Comment

Mike, please tell me more about the Ford Disc brakes you had installed on this rear end.I've been wanting to do just that , but have not liked the E - brake setup on the kits I've seen. Does your Disc Brake set up have a small drum and shoes for the E-brake?
                    Thanks
                    JLB

Comment

Working...
                    X