Avanti HD fan affect on Water Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti HD fan affect on Water Pump

StudeGary mentioned in a recent post that the HD Avanti 6-blade fan shortens the life of the water pump. The HD fans are indeed noisy and keep my Avanti around 180 degrees, but I recently bought an original 5-blade (offset) fan to see if the noise reduction will adversely affect cooling ability. A bonus would be improved water pump life. Since I am new to the Avanti world, I wonder what is the basis for the statement that the HD fan reduces water pump life? Inquiring minds...thanks for any info...Bob

TO: AnAvanti4Bob,------If the HD six blade fan is in good condition (not bent and in proper balance) I really don't see how using it would have any effect on the life of the water pump.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      TO: AnAvanti4Bob,------If the HD six blade fan is in good condition (not bent and in proper balance) I really don't see how using it would have any effect on the life of the water pump.
      TO: SN-60. Thanks for the quick reply. How does one tell if the 5 or 6 blade fan is not bent and in proper balance? Is there a standard by which they can be measured or just observation as they whirl about? Bob

Comment

TO: AnAvanti4Bob,-----One of those inexpensive lawn mower blade balancers would probably tell the tale as far as balance, as far as whether or not the blades are in the same 'plane' I would just
        lay it on a known flat surface and see if the blades touch evenly......OR, if it's still on the engine,...manually spin it in relation to a fixed object (or constant) that the blade clearance can be measured against.

Comment

Even if the fan is in balance, there is still a major increase in the mass whirling around at the end of the water pump shaft. Of course an out of balance condition would also add side loading to the water pump bearing.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

When I converted to a 6 bladed 18" fan for my Hawk, it busted the water pump housing between the bearings. I converted to a heavy duty water pump (see the Bob Johnstone web site). No problems since.

Comment

To: studegary,------Nope,....a slightly greater 'mass', if the fan is in proper balance, would have no discernable effect on the water pump bearings. In 'Chucks Stude's' case, I doubt if it was the extra blade
              on the new engine fan that caused his water pump to break in half.

Comment

There is also the gyroscopic effect of heavier fan blades mounted on a thermostatic fan clutch located farther away from the water pump housing and bearings inside the housing.

Anytime the car accelerates, decelerates, turns left or right or bounces up or down, the gyroscopic effect induces additional loads on the water pump bearings and housing.

The gyroscopic effect of spinning objects can be seen and felt by holding a front bicycle wheel by the axle ends, have someone spin the wheel and then turn the spinning wheel left, right, up, down, etc while holding it by the axle. You will have to use noticeable muscle power to control the spinning wheel. The faster it spins the harder it is to control.

In addition to the simple heavier overhanging load of a heavier fan placed farther forward, the gyroscopics add additional loads and together they affect the water pump life.

Larger and more varied forces acting on a longer lever.

Comment

To: AnAvanti4Bob,------I think I'm outvoted here.....Beware of HD engine fans!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    To: AnAvanti4Bob,------I think I'm outvoted here.....Beware of HD engine fans!!
                    Noted - thanks to all for your contributions. Looks like the next project is to replace the HD fan (the noise reduction alone will probably be worth it!) after having the 5 blade fan powdercoated. What is the original color of the fan? Looks close to Chevy engine block "orange"..Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Don Jeffers View Post
                      There is also the gyroscopic effect of heavier fan blades mounted on a thermostatic fan clutch located farther away from the water pump housing and bearings inside the housing.

Anytime the car accelerates, decelerates, turns left or right or bounces up or down, the gyroscopic effect induces additional loads on the water pump bearings and housing.

In addition to the simple heavier overhanging load of a heavier fan placed farther forward, the gyroscopics add additional loads and together they affect the water pump life.

Larger and more varied forces acting on a longer lever.
                      Don, Makes sense and I understand the principle - thanks for the great information...Bob

Comment

Working...
                      X