Need '51 Champion Choke Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need '51 Champion Choke Cable

Good morning. I need to locate a choke cable to manually operate the 1-barrel of my '51 Champion.

Carb rebuilder tested it and it worked for him on the bench, but won't open for me.
    I cleaned the hot air tube going to the exhaust manifold; it fit kinda loose into the manifold but
    even putting a bit of high-temp gasket sealer where the tube exits the manifold didn't help.
    Somehow, I'm not getting sufficient hot air up to the choke and ran out of ideas how to fix it.

Choke spring is intact and the choke works if you turn the choke by hand (linkages are okay)
    but it never moves from where you manually set it.
    I have an open dash switch hole where someone had previously had some kind of toggle switch
    (maybe fog lights?) I could use for a manual choke.

Was there a manual choke option in '51, so I could use an original-looking choke cable instead
    of buying a generic one? Anyone got a complete one they'd sell?

Regards,
    Clarence

I found a generic manual choke cable at Pep Boys in the help section. I needed one for a 50 Champion a few months ago. I think the hot air tube corrodes and fails inside of the manifold and doesn't allow any hot air to get to the bi metallic spring in the choke mechanism. I don't remember seeing a 51 Champion with a manual choke as original equipment. Bud

Comment

There is a drilled passage from the carb. base plate all the way up to the choke housing. It has to be open the whole distance to pull heated air into the choke chamber. You must use a base gasket similar to one shown that will line up with the small hole in the carb. base.

Click image for larger version

Name:	basegask.champion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1675666
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll swap the gasket first, and if that won't work, I'll add a manual generic choke cable. Much appreciated.

Regards,
        Clarence

Comment

Working...
        X