Copper Fuel Lines '48

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Copper Fuel Lines '48

Does anyone have good/detailed pictures that capture the original copper fuel line setup for the 48 Land Cruiser?
    This would be the 5/16" pipes/nuts from/to the double action fuel pump and carburetor.

Thanks !

While I don't know what was done in 48 (I wasn't around quite yet..), I would not recommend copper fuel line in todays environment.
    With the combination of the ingredients of todays fuel and the engine/road vibration...the copper will split...eventually...right at the wrong time, as if there was a good time for a fuel leak...!

I've mentioned this to people I know in the past years...but because...it's easy to form, it looks good when polished, etc., etc., ....they've all eventually been removed...because of leaks.

As another sorta says...your car, your marshmellows...!

Mike

Comment

If I remember correctly, copper tubing is not legal for use in vehicles. Like Mike said, copper tubing will harden and split in an automotive invironment. I don't remember ever seeing a Studebaker originally equipped with copper tubing in the fuel or brake system. They did use steel tubing with a copper like coating though. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
        If I remember correctly, copper tubing is not legal for use in vehicles.<<<
        We've had this discussion here on this very Forum earlier this year.

Currently legal or not ...whether you choose to use it or not ...the undisputable fact remains; YES!!! Studebaker Engineering did specify COPPER as an option for "Service Use" on many, many of their tubing drawings. I also personally purchased replacement COPPER brake and fuel lines directly from STUDEBAKER's very own Parts Dept. in South Bend back in the day.
        Last edited by Welcome; 10-07-2012, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hmccorkl View Post
          Does anyone have good/detailed pictures that capture the original copper fuel line setup for the 48 Land Cruiser?
          This would be the 5/16" pipes/nuts from/to the double action fuel pump and carburetor.

Thanks !
          WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the detail you seek, but contact the Studebaker National Museum Archives and they should be able to get copies of the original Studebaker Engineering drawings for those parts/componets for you.
          Last edited by Welcome; 10-07-2012, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X