Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maintenance on a 1951 commander land cruiser.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Maintenance on a 1951 commander land cruiser.

I got my 1951 land cruiser around two weeks ago. Here is everything I've done so far.
    I replaced the dead battery, dropped the fuel tank to clean, blew out the fuel line, cleaned the fuel bowl and ceramic filter, installed a inline filter, changed the oil with valvoline 15w40 diesel grade for better additives plus lucus oil stabilizer, changed the oil filter, drained the transmission and torque converter, dropped the transmission pan to clean the screen, put new fluid back in with a can of Sea Foam trans-tune, I have premium fuel with a lead additive in it right now.
    The anti-creep device was missing so for the moment I have a fitting on the banjo style end to take it down to 3/8's hose which is inplace to give me some brakes. I haven't bled them yet so they're a little squishy but will hopefully get that done today along with the brake band adjustment.
    Have I done anything terribly wrong or is there anything that I need to do right away?
    I'll get some pictures up this afternoon.

To: James Hellsing,-------I'd say that You've done everything right! Has the car been run/driven recently?

Comment

WELCOME, JAMES!

Sounds good so far.

Here's a good article for you consideration.

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have a '51 Land Cruiser. So far, I like what you have done. My only suggestion is that the 15w 40 oil is probably a bit heavy for your part of the country where you have REAL winters. Valvoline VR1 Racing oil at standard 30wt should be sufficient. It contains all the appropriate additives right off the shelf. What you have done is not a deal killer, but unless you have a very sloppy engine, 30wt should do fine. Enjoy your car. Those who have no experience with a Land Cruiser don't know what they're missing.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Make sure you installed the battery POSITIVE GROUND. Lots of folks who are new to old cars want to hook up the ground to the negative, but that's not right.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I know I'm not one to talk, but... got any pictures???

sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
            Regal Deluxe Trim
            Automatic transmission
            46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
            X