ID:	1736558Click image for larger version

Name:	Thissle 006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1736560 Click image for larger version

Name:	Thissle 019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1736559I have been riddled with guilt ever since I won the Best of Show award in Napa. The thing that bugs me the most is that I was just too lazy to spend time detailing my truck for this important (to me) show. I hit it with the California duster, some detail spray and took a whisk broom to the carpets. That's about it. I really didn't believe Dennis Gage would pick my old truck for his show.

For years there have been a few items that I wanted, one day, to fix. The steering wheel was one of them. It was busted up pretty bad and I covered up the broken bits using a steering wheel cover and some electrical tape. I purchased a plastic dash cap a few years ago and it has warped pretty badly. I also decided not to Line-X my tailgate when I had the liner installed in the bed. I knew the moment I told him not to do it, I would regret it. And I have ever since.

So that's three of the four little things that I intended to get around to one of these days. Now, because of my procrastination, those ugly things will be immortalized on the My Classic Car TV show.

But I did get them fixed, so all is not lost. I just wish I had done it before the show and not after. Thanks to Shrock Bros for making the new steering wheel, thanks to ABC upholstry for using that warped plastic cap as a template to build me a padded dash, and thanks to Line-X for finishing up the job and lining my tailgate.

The only other thing I've been meaning to fix is my lazy driver side outside door handle. It droops a bit from 60 plus years of use so I would love to replace it with a new one. Does anyone have a nice NOS door handle they would like to sell?
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Jon,

Just remember it is a hobby, not a second job!!!!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes, I know. I have the second job to pay for the hobby.....
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Here's the fix for the door handle.

Comment

Interesting fix but I don't think it would completely solve my problem. There is a cone shaped attachment that fits between the handle and the base on the outside of the door. (mine is different than the one on the studebakersonly web site) That cone shaped piece is worn down and the handle would still be sloppy with their fix.

Clever idea though for those with later model c cabs. I'd still like to get a decent handle to replace it. I will find one some day.

Thanks Matt
          Jon Stalnaker
          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

It's a very nice truck, but just make sure Dennis tells everyone that the truck is modified.

Otherwise, everyone who wants to "restore" their truck without taking any time to research authenticity, will try to make their just like yours. Then they will be disappointed when/if being judged at a SDC event.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
              It's a very nice truck, but just make sure Dennis tells everyone that the truck is modified.
              Already done talking with Dennis. It was made clear that it was not stock. Besides, we looked under the hood.
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
              X