PDA

View Full Version : Problem, big time

curt
09-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Fan blade broke at 70 mph. Lot of noise, but the radiator is cut. I need a fan blade for a 1955 President State , any one have one? Any cross over blades? Also to re core the radiator , think any chance it can be done in a few days? Dreaming I guess. I may need to drive the Honda to the National,shoot! (cjbonser AT sbcglobal. net) or answer here. Thanks.

curt
09-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Fan is now out and I can see where it had fatigued at the break site, fresh metal then oxidized metal. Had a water pump go out last winter and fan did some excentric rotations as the water pump bearing wore, I suspect the fan blades started to fatigue way back then. I will change the H20 pump out again, this is a new one and the present one is rebuilt.

41 Frank
09-16-2006, 11:38 PM
If you know a good radiator shop they may still be able to order a new core have it shipped in and solder it to your tanks but it would be pushing the time frame you have left. Check with some of your chapter members if you belong, maybe someone has a fan blade. Otherwise someone here at the Omaha meet would probably be able to sell you a fan blade if you have to drive the Honda.

41 Frank
09-16-2006, 11:42 PM
If you know a good radiator shop they may still be able to order a new core have it shipped in and solder it to your tanks but it would be pushing the time frame you have left. Check with some of your chapter members if you belong, maybe someone has a fan blade. Otherwise someone here at the Omaha meet would probably be able to sell you a fan blade if you have to drive the Honda.

rockne10
09-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Bad news is most radiator shops don't have excess core material laying on the shelf. They order it as needed. Good news is your radiator shop may be an exception.
Years ago I was on my way from Pennsylvania to Colorado and blew the radiator in the Dodge I was driving. A local radiator shop in Springfield,Ohio recored the radiator while I went to the local theater and watched most of "The French Lieutenant's Woman". Can you be that fortunate?

Explain your problem to the radiator shop and they should be able to have core shipped next day.

A flurry of phone calls to local chapter members is warranted. Maybe someone has, or knows someone who has, etc., etc

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

JDP
09-17-2006, 12:30 AM
Grab the correct size fiberglass or stainless fan at a local parts store or I can next day air a Studebaker one Mon.

http://stude.com/sig.jpg
Studebaker On The Net
http://stude.com
Studebaker News Group
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
Arnold Md.
65 Sports Sedan(sold)
64 Daytona HT
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 GT Hawk
63 Avanti R1/AC
63 Avanti R2/4 speed
63 Daytona HT
63 Lark 2 dr.
62 Lark 2 door
62 GT(parts car)
60 Lark convert
60 Hawk
52 Starliner(sold)
51 Commander

N8N
09-17-2006, 07:48 AM
If you follow JP's advice grab a uni-bit too, unless you've got one already (or a large drill press and set of large drill bits) the Studebaker "nose" on the spacer is larger than most so the hole in the middle of a typical flex fan will have to be enlarged.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Alan
09-17-2006, 11:50 AM
What part of the country you in Curt? I have the parts, but if you are too far away they won't help.

Roscomacaw
09-17-2006, 01:32 PM
I think you've got plenty of time for a shop to do your radiator right even if they do have to order the core.
I've never had a recore job take more than 4 or 5 days and they've always had to order the cores for me.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

gordr
09-17-2006, 01:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by curt

Fan blade broke at 70 mph. Lot of noise, but the radiator is cut. I need a fan blade for a 1955 President State , any one have one? Any cross over blades? Also to re core the radiator , think any chance it can be done in a few days? Dreaming I guess. I may need to drive the Honda to the National,shoot! (cjbonser AT sbcglobal. net) or answer here. Thanks.

Is it for a coupe or a sedan? I have a supposedly good coupe rad in a box here, and I should have the fan as well. I got all the pieces removed from a good running '55 President coupe.

I'm in Alberta, Canada, and will be coming to Omaha. Shipping the rad could be doable, but likely pricey.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

curt
09-17-2006, 02:11 PM
I live in Seminole , Oklahoma. Alan, where are you? It may work iffin were are not toooo far apart. My lower tank is cut. Gordor, thanks for the offer , I'll see where Alan's parts are. My phone 405 303 2505. Keep the answers coming, I'm still dreaming of driving to the National.

curt
09-17-2006, 09:05 PM
JDP is going to air ship a fan to me for the 1955 President. I will see what the radiator shop can come up with Monday morning. Small town but a low income area with the net result for a lot of repairing of autos; I hope that plays for me. I will keep you posted.

sbca96
09-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Yet another reason to go with an electric fan.[:p]

Studebakers seemed to use the same radiator size in all the cars but
the Avanti. If you have another Stude sitting around, swap it in. I
have one sitting in the trunk of the Hawk up on a hill.;)

I am in Cali though. They should be able to do a patch for you. I had
a local radiator shop redo my upper Avanti remote tank about 10 years
ago. It was supposed to be temporary until I could find a replacement.
They did such a great job on it, its still good as new. They yanked
it apart, and re-soldered the whole thing, looks like there isnt even
a seam upper and lower anymore. No leaks - still workin.

Tom

N8N
09-17-2006, 09:45 PM
not exactly, Tom. Late Hawks and Larks use the same radiator, which is probably what most of us reading this drive, meaning that any spare radiator we'd be likely to have laying around would fit. I'd also ASSume that the only difference between the earlier Hawk and later Hawk radiator would be the inlet hose size. Maybe those would interchange with 56-up sedans and early Larks? I don't know. But the 53-55 C-Ks used a shorter radiator than a Hawk, and I'm not sure if the sedans those years used a different radiator yet, or not.

nate

(Actually I could use a new rad. in the '55, as it needs a new neck and the core looks a little shaky, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.)

--
55 Commander Starlight

sbca96
09-17-2006, 09:47 PM
True, the 53-55 would be shorter ... but he has a President, isnt that
the taller one. That body became the Lark - didnt it?

Tom

N8N
09-17-2006, 09:51 PM
yup, the President sedan was the same basic body (in Ultra-Vista form, that is) that eventually became the Lark but it still had the sloping hood similar to the C-K models. It was a little taller in the front, making me wonder if it didn't have a taller radiator, but I suspect it still may have been shorter than the later ones. I don't have a '55 sedan handy to look at, however...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight

hank63
09-18-2006, 07:30 AM
I'd stay away from the "flexi"-fans. There's got to be a good reason why OEM manufacturers fit more expensive clutch-fans, rather than the flexing ones.
Fit an electrical fan or a fixed fan from another make of car (if you can't find a Stude fan).
/H

curt
09-18-2006, 09:36 PM
JDP said he would AIr Freight a fan to me today, should be on the way:D. The local radiator shop has cor material ordered and says the radiator will be ready Thursday AM.:D:D. Things are looking good at this point.

rockne10
09-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Problem, big time, is an opportunity to rise to the occassion. "Git 'er done"
The common platitude is "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."
There are other platitudes like "Out of sight, out of mind" and "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." I still haven't been able to reconcile those two.:D

Anyway, confidence is running to Omaha with a full flow coolant and an absence of electronic sensors and computer guided transmission shifts and fuel feed.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
33 Rockne 10
51 Commander Starlight
53 Commander Starlight
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg
previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

curt
09-19-2006, 09:58 PM
JDP's fan blade should come tomorrow and the radiator is due Thursday morning. Just finished painting the mounting-frame around the radiator. I'm sure a die hart Studebaker man will say it is the wrong gloss of black paint,ha,ha. While the radiator is out I re checked the valves. What space, it's great down under the hood with the radiator out. Put a NEW H20 pump in, thought the old one may have a bent shaft. A broken fan blade out of balance could have damaged the pump's shaft or bearing.

sbca96
09-20-2006, 12:11 PM
I prefer to paint under-hood, and under body parts flat or semi flat
black. That might be incorrect, but it looks better since it hides
the flaws older cars get over the years. Gloss paint, on say a rear
axle housing, looks tacky since it shows all the imperfections of old
paint chips and grease that the painter missed. If you go through the
effort of stripping a sanding properly, then it looks fine. Just my
opinion. I did my engine compartment with semi-flat on the Hawk, and
it really made the red block and heads on the engine "pop".

Tom