PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft D/S spline length

jrlemke
10-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Got the motor mount problem corrected. Now, I need to know how long the slip-yoke on the rear driveshaft is, Also the front one that goes into the trans. I don't know if the trans one is bolted into the trans like it should be. The whole drive shaft instillation is screwy. The center joint crossmember has been cut and the support section has been bolted to the floor! I'm going to change it when I put the 4 spd. in so I don't want to do any more than I have to with this set-up, it's worked for at least 4k miles. Thanks. -Jim

Dwain G.
10-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Screwy ain't the word for it! I only have one slip yoke here to measure, and it is about 4 3/8" overall. I think it came from a '60 Lark six. Don't know how much difference there would be in other years/models. The internal splines go all the way to the bottom. Correctly positioned, a slip yoke should be about 3/4" back from bottoming, out more or less. The one I measured showed a wear pattern at 1".

jrlemke
10-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks Dwain, I need the length for the front yoke on the rear d/s. -Jim

SN-60
10-08-2012, 08:20 PM
To: jrlemke,----It sounds like You have two slip-yokes in the same driveline...I may not be reading the question correctly though.

Dwain G.
10-08-2012, 11:16 PM
It does sound like two slip yokes. Any idea what they came out of? Are you asking for the overall length of the slip yoke?

jrlemke
10-09-2012, 05:17 PM
I have a short tail trans. and a two piece d/s. I think it's out of a '56 or '57 Hawk. I haven't pulled it yet but, I understand the front yoke normally bolts into the rear of the trans. and the center u-joint has the slip joint. Now that I have the motor in the correct location, the center joint shows about 3/4" of the slip joint to the wear mark. it was tight to the rear of the front shaft before. I need to know how much of the joint is still in the rear d/s.