PDA

View Full Version : Time for Frosty to get new bushings

Jerry Forrester
10-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Got tired of the squeak, squeak, squeak from Frosty's front suspension.
I picked up 8 control arm bushings from SI while we were in SB for the IM.
Finally got him on the lift yesterday for the installation.
Hope the 'might as wells' don't get me before I can get him back off the lift. You know, since we're here we might as well address that rear main seal leak, since we have the oil pan off we might as well check those crank bearings, since we're installing new crank bearings we might as well put in some new cam bearings, etc, etc, etc.

63 R2 Hawk
10-05-2012, 03:11 PM
I call it "creeping elegance". It is what causes a 4 hour, $25 job into 2 weeks and $600. Never fails.

bezhawk
10-05-2012, 03:31 PM
I call it "creeping elegance". It is what causes a 4 hour, $25 job into 2 weeks and $600. Never fails.
$25 wouldn't even buy one bushing nowdays.

Jerry Forrester
10-05-2012, 05:04 PM
This is all I got done today. Just the bushings may be a two week job.

showbizkid
10-05-2012, 05:23 PM
rear mail seal leak

I hear the USPS is working that too :rolleyes:

rockinhawk
10-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Changed mine on the GT last week. I had rounded up a set of A-Frames earlier and installed the bushings. All I had to do was switch them over. The only "Might as well" It got was new shocks.

Studedude
10-05-2012, 07:17 PM
This is all I got done today. Just the bushings may be a two week job.
Where's the lawn chair... and, the guy that is actually doing the work? Your picture is incomplete. -

1962larksedan
10-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Lower bushing: I don't even bother pulling the arms down on a Stude. :)

63 R2 Hawk
10-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Earlier this year, I started out to do a "quick" kingpin bushing replacement since the right side was developing a tiny bit of play. That side went pretty well, but the "good" side, the one I thought would be easiest, turned out to be a mess. PO had turned the pin down and installed undersized bushings/bearings. Managed to find an NOS kingpin and ended up replacing some "A" arm bushings and wheel bearings plus doing some work on the disc brakes. Still, I got by with a little less than $200 USD for pretty much a complete front suspension rebuild. The car is really a joy to drive now!