PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: T-96 Gearing question

Chris_Dresbach
10-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Getting ready to do some work on my '40 which has a non-stock BW T-96 transmission. The OD is completely out in the trans. that's in it now but I have another T-96 sitting under the bench. I have no idea exactly what's wrong with the OD in the transmission now other than it won't work so for the time being I figure I'll just switch the transmissions until I can get my "old" one fixed. My question is that if a transmission has T-96 cast into the side of it, would it be identical to all other T-96s out there; as in a change in internal gearing for different years? I would think not, but neither my dad nor I know a whole lot about these.

Some days I think it would be easier to stuff an R1 with a Mustang four speed in that car and call it good!!

studeluvr
10-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Hey Chris does the 96 have two solenoids, one on each side one I believe to be a governor? The reason I ask I thought of doing something similar on my 40 champion but did not want to notch the frame is that the case with your 96 trans? I might be confused with an 86 come to think of it maybe you could learn me. thanks

Ted Preston
10-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Dunno the answer to your question, but I'll bump the thread so others may see it who DO know. I'm the sort who likes to keep spare parts under the bench, and lord knows T96 trannys are as easy to come by as Champion 170 engines, pulled out of cars for more powerful engine/tranny swaps.

I know the T96 was used in a huge range of vehicles of all makes, so It would be nice to know if they are all essentially the same.

Chris_Dresbach
10-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Hey Chris does the 96 have two solenoids, one on each side one I believe to be a governor? The reason I ask I thought of doing something similar on my 40 champion but did not want to notch the frame is that the case with your 96 trans? I might be confused with an 86 come to think of it maybe you could learn me. thanks

No, only one solenoid coming out of the left rear side. Any way you look at it, you will have to modify the frame in some way. I got the car with it already having a T-96 and a modified frame to handle it, but I wish the original transmission was still there.

I guess my only question about this is if I pull a transmission out of a 1951 Champion and it is marked T-96, and pull another out of a 196X model that is also T-96; without tearing it apart to find out would they be identical?