Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do You Waste your Time? (Loaded Question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Waste your Time? (Loaded Question)

How Do You Waste Your Time?

I had a lively discussion with a very erudite gentleman yesterday.
    He was espousing the virtues of on-line poker, and shoot 'em up 'puter games.....
    Our discussion twisted and turned when I started asking him questions about stolen hours.

His point was about entertainment, and about distraction from the daily grind.
    My point was about progress made and completion of set out tasks.

We agreed that both/all are needed, and both/all are not good when done to excess.
    What say you?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

i do find it easier to waste time watching "my" dvr'd tv shows, spending time on the 'puter - mainly here, e-mail and other car & news sites - than doing needed chores like car repairs, house cleaning, and especially yard work (going to do it "tomorrow" - knowing there's a 60+ % of rain the next day)!

seriously, i find myself in a "rut". even with my health problems preventing me from doing as much as i used to do, i really need to get out there in the real world more, and a lot less time on the 'puter, tv, etc...

from what i've seen from some of my facebook "friends" (i go there once or twice a day), i'm not the only one that needs to "get out of the house" more!
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

As far as I am concerned computer games just add to the "Couch Potato" syndrome and therefore I personally don't engage in them and limit my TV watching too. I believe an active life is the best thing for ones body, as long as we are healthy enough for that physical activity,whatever it happens to be. My four Studebakers keep me busy tending to their never ending ills, yard work too. Been retired for 6 years and at 71 am as active as I can be. I don't go to the gym, but get enough excersize in other ways. Walk a lot too. I keep a list of things that I need to get done by our computer desk. My wife has accused me of being too anal about getting things done, she says "if you don't get it done today, do it tomorrow, remember you are a retiree." Just my two cents.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

i think most of my time is pretty well spent. The biggest "waste" is either here, or at the Western channel.I don't care for sports so you won't find me on the couch yelling for the Bull Dawgs.Although I usually ask someone later, "Who won?" I'm not interested in playing games. Especially on the computer. I enjoy finding out what my Studebaker friends are up to, and I often have to help Marshal Dillon catch a bad guy.
        Other than that most of my time is used working on somthing. I do enjoy a fishing or hunting trip once in awhile.

I also like to spend time with my grandchildren. Many times doing whatever they want to do. But that is definately NOT a waste of time.
        Neil Thornton

Comment

My day sort of resembles Frank's. In a week I will be 79 and I am thankful for the health I think I have. I read several newspapers on the internet and my neighbor passes his WSJ and business mags over to me. When he goes to Florida I will show up more in the periodical section of the library. I refer to myself as a "periodical junky" as I read a large amount of that kind of material and a novel is taking me a long time to finish. Somehow, I have managed to be in email contact with several people including some I have not seen in over 50 years and I probably should reduce the email activity. The friendships are highly valued and nurtured. I take a look at the SDC forum frequently just to see what the topics of the day might be. In season the flowers, etc. are maintained and I do a little project on a vehicle from time to time. Walking 2-3 miles a day is my goal. Today, it is hoped that I get the boat wet and go fishing. My wife's health issues have narrowed down what we do with our time and we are not able to predict what tomorrow will allow us to do. Weather permitting I am outside as much as possible. I would like to polish the Studebaker and have been thinking about it for several weeks! Carol reminds me frequently that I don't have to justify my use of time. Rarely, I feel guilty about not getting anything acomplished and I make a list which helps me to get at it. Jeff is still working and packs in a lot activities. His wasting of time would be quite different from a retiree who isn't as accountable to the clock and calendar. Other observations will be interesting.
          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

'Wasting' time for me is a not-by-choice thing, such as getting caught in traffic due to an accident ahead, or some unforseen circumstance. In my case, I may procrastinate doing something I really should get done, but then I'll fill that time with an easier, but still good-for-the-mind activity such as reading a magazine.

Craig

Comment

I think fooling around on the Net is my biggest waste of time, although I must confess that evening TV steals a lot of hours I later regret.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                I think fooling around on the Net is my biggest waste of time, although I must confess that evening TV steals a lot of hours I later regret.
                Yup, me too. I try to make a weekly and daily to do list to remind me to get off my butt and get to work on stuff.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I am so glad to hear that you guys are making list of things to do. I have been retired 4 years and my list continues to grow of things to do. I do go on this web site several times a day and also to ebay looking for that one GREAT buy. I have now began a Bucket List of things I want to do before I leave this world, we are planning a trip across the USA next summer taking 3-4 weeks to make the trip by car.... I realized a few years ago that I am not running out of things to do I am running out of TIME to get them done...

Comment

I guess it depends on one's perception/definition of 'waste'. I feel like I waste very little time; I'm always trying to do what I think God wants me to do. But I'm sure that some of the things I spend time on would seem like a waste to others who don't personally put much importance on what I might be doing.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I do not play video games nor am I on Facebook.
                      I go to this Forum usually once per day.
                      I watch some TV - favorites: "Big Bang Theory" and Jay Leno (1st half of "Tonight Show").
                      If I have some time to kill, I usually read one of the many car related magazines that I receive (27 periodicals on last count, but reducing).
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                        As far as I am concerned computer games just add to the "Couch Potato" syndrome and therefore I personally don't engage in them and limit my TV watching too. I believe an active life is the best thing for ones body, as long as we are healthy enough for that physical activity,whatever it happens to be. My four Studebakers keep me busy tending to their never ending ills, yard work too. Been retired for 6 years and at 71 am as active as I can be. I don't go to the gym, but get enough excersize in other ways. Walk a lot too. I keep a list of things that I need to get done by our computer desk. My wife has accused me of being too anal about getting things done, she says "if you don't get it done today, do it tomorrow, remember you are a retiree." Just my two cents.
                        I'm with Frank. Don't watch TV (except an occasional ball game), don't gamble, don't play video gams. I do like to read, and for some reason, I put that in the category of "doing something useful". Have a dozen cars and two houses that require constant attention. Plus a wife I like to spend time with. More than enough, but most people probably consider me REALLY boring.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          How Do You Waste Your Time?>>>
                          What say you?
                          wastespend

Comment

T.V. Is for when its dark or my back hurts, computer games are for kids and fat people, or kids that will soon be fat people. I choose to waste my time on bulldogs, cycads, Studebakers and Coors in the yellow can.
                            Also a fattener.

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                            X