Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE END OF AN ERA HERE IN HAMILTON- THE WRECKERS HAVE BEGUN DEMOLITION ON THE STUDEBAKER FACTORY!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE END OF AN ERA HERE IN HAMILTON- THE WRECKERS HAVE BEGUN DEMOLITION ON THE STUDEBAKER FACTORY!!!!

Here's the end of an era here in Hamilton. We were at a cruise last night and a friend told us that the wreckers had begun to demolish the Studebaker plant. We were there today and they have pretty much demolished the foundry and the insides are down. Roly used to work at the Otis plant which was joined and located west of the Studebaker factory. Currently, they are working pulling down the insides of the factory. Roly took these pictures today from a spot on the railroad tracks located north of the rear of the factory. If you go down Mars and Ferrie Street, it appears that nothing is happening. However, we went down Victoria Ave. and you can just see through the yard to the rear of the old Otis Elevator factory where the wreckers are working. Roly then went along the railroad tracks and peeked through the fence to get some pictures. The man from the wrecking company said that they will be moving east and will soon begin to take down the iconic Studebaker sign on the rear of the plant. He indicated that within three to four weeks the whole thing should be down. It is kind of sad, my late father worked at the plant from 1948 as did my uncle. Roly relates that when he worked at Otis, they used to watch the Larks going into the primer tanks. I have uploaded the pix to photobucket and the link is below...

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
    studenews@outlook.com

Originally posted by SusieQ View Post
    Here's the end of an era here in Hamilton. We were at a cruise last night and a friend told us that the wreckers had begun to demolish the Studebaker plant. We were there today and they have pretty much demolished the foundry and the insides are down. Roly used to work at the Otis plant which was joined and located west of the Studebaker factory. Currently, they are working pulling down the insides of the factory. Roly took these pictures today from a spot on the railroad tracks located north of the rear of the factory. If you go down Mars and Ferrie Street, it appears that nothing is happening. However, we went down Victoria Ave. and you can just see through the yard to the rear of the old Otis Elevator factory where the wreckers are working. Roly then went along the railroad tracks and peeked through the fence to get some pictures. The man from the wrecking company said that they will be moving east and will soon begin to take down the iconic Studebaker sign on the rear of the plant. He indicated that within three to four weeks the whole thing should be down. It is kind of sad, my late father worked at the plant from 1948 as did my uncle. Roly relates that when he worked at Otis, they used to watch the Larks going into the primer tanks. I have uploaded the pix to photobucket and the link is below...

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Demolition/
    So much for a happier ending. The owners had agreed to allow us to schedule a final homecoming event before demolition but then cancelled our planning meeting. We have been unable to get anyone in control to return our calls but I'm trying again. I'll keep you all posted. If anyone is in the area please keep a daily watch and take as many pictures as you can.
    Stu Chapman

Comment

Too bad someone (maybe the Studebaker Museum) couldn't have gotten the congregated metal spelling out "Studebaker." It would have nicely filled in a bare wall or even made for an exterior fence.

Tom
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I would much rather wax nostalgic about pristine pictures of a manufacturing facility
          in its working prime than look upon an abandoned and neglected former worksite.

Kudo's to those that collected butter tubs of sand, and an occaisional old brick as a rememberence.
          (I have some signs from the SB factory)
          A lock of hair, a piece of cloth........

The open wound of a neglected abandoned factory brings me more pain thinking of what could have been.
          Complete the mourning process and move on to the collection of accurate history.
          Share that and enjoy the glory days.

A corpse does not age gracefully when left out in the open.
          Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

To: DEEPNHOCK,-------- That really sums things up.....Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              [COLOR=#000080][B]I would much rather wax nostalgic about pristine pictures of a manufacturing facility
              in its working prime than look upon an abandoned and neglected former worksite.
              The open wound of a neglected abandoned factory brings me more pain thinking of what could have been.
              Complete the mourning process and move on to the collection of accurate history.
              Share that and enjoy the glory days.

A corpse does not age gracefully when left out in the open.
              The factory in Hamilton was not 'past its prime' The building was still in remarkably good shape, and was not 'derelict'. Unfortunately, there were no takers who wanted to lease the premises, and the current owners obviously didn't want to carry the expense of keeping the utilities on, and paying taxes for an unoccupied building.

Craig

Comment

Two words: This sucks.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Hey Craig , at least I got to take a photo of my 66 in front of the main entrance before tha ball swung !
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

What a shame, i do hope some of the items in the plant was saved by some one. but i can see this happening all over the country, trying to clean our inter cities up some and get rid of some of the slum's parts of towns. that bums live in and rats, plus it helps bring the area back. but for those who worked there many years ago, it hurts, i know the company i worked for sold out and the plant just isn't the same, "think Studebaker"
                    Don Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                      Hey Craig , at least I got to take a photo of my 66 in front of the main entrance before tha ball swung !
                      You were fortunate to be able to do so. At least I was able to get a few outside photos of the facility for myself in 2010:

As one can see in the photos, the building was not 'run down' in any way, and the grounds were clean, aside from a few papers blown against the fence. It was springtime when I took those photos.

Craig

Comment

Perhaps it is time to be working on a plan to erect some sort of historical memorial plaque on the site. Are there any known plans for the real estate?
                        Jim Bradley
                        Lake Monticello, VA
                        '78 Avanti II
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rerun View Post
                          Perhaps it is time to be working on a plan to erect some sort of historical memorial plaque on the site. Are there any known plans for the real estate?
                          Jim,
                          We are in the planning stages to do just that. We have approached the clubs here in ontario about it and, currently, we have our chapter, the ontario chapter, the avanti club and a private person on board to donate. Also, there is a plan to attempt to rename Ferrie St. from Mars Avenue to Victoria Ave. This may happen as there is only one residence on this street.

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
                          studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                            So much for a happier ending. The owners had agreed to allow us to schedule a final homecoming event before demolition but then cancelled our planning meeting. We have been unable to get anyone in control to return our calls but I'm trying again. I'll keep you all posted. If anyone is in the area please keep a daily watch and take as many pictures as you can.
                            Stu Chapman
                            WE'RE BACK ON THE RAILS AGAIN! - I HOPE
                            This morning, Roly Lusted, Hamilton Chapter VP, and I met with the property owner's personnel which resulted in a subsequent telephone conversation with a senior representative. As a result, it looks like we can still schedule a Studebaker Homecoming at the Hamilton plant within the next two weeks. Just as soon as we have written confirmation we'll announce it here on the Forum. Keep watching.
                            Stu Chapman

Comment

Nice idea, but from a demolition point of view, very expensive. It's much too big for any logical display.
                              Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                              X