Studebaker 'Racing Trivia' Question #216

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker 'Racing Trivia' Question #216

Still in the world of R-3 engines, what significance does engine # R3s M306 have?

Also known as B46, and the original engine to the 8th factory production R3 Avanti.

Comment

To: mbstude,--------- CLOSE,........but no cigar for You either! (Matt......I.D. Vehicle serial#)

Comment

R5642.

Comment

To: mbstude,------- OK Matt, My info disagrees with that engine being in R-5642 (but I've been wrong before!) Let's see if anyone else chimes in on this question.

Comment

I believe Matthew's info is correct, with the last verification being in 2002, when it resided in Toronto. However, there is older info dated 2000 which indicates some connection to the last production R3 Avanti built which was B46.
            Jim
            Often in error, never in doubt
            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

A closer look at my info (same as Jim's) shows something that probably isn't right. On this list, R3SM306 is also shown for B43, the engine in the 9th R3 Avanti, R5643.

Probably just a typing mistake.

Comment

IIRC, the last two R3 Avantis were assembled on the same day. If the two engines were made on the same day, might they not have the same numbers, like any other 1964 model Studebaker engine series?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

ANSWER: (Not really sure if this is CORRECT answer, but here's what I have..........R3s M306 was (is) the Studebaker Serial Number for the R-3 engine that was installed in Avanti Serial # R-5643,
                  the ninth factory R-3 Avanti, and of course the last Studebaker Avanti built. Kind of interesting isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                  X